You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-12 09:47:59

nightfrost

getting up a website

I remember when I first started using Linux, the hardest thing was my lack of knowledge with the vocabulary. Since I didn't know what to search for, I just couldn't find the things I needed to solve my problems.

A couple of days ago, I thought I should get a webpage up on my own domain. So I got myself a domainname and webspace over at https://www.b-one.net/. I managed to get a website up, a blog, and a wiki.

Now, I keep hearing about RSS, and I have a vague idea about what it is. But I have no idea of how to use it, if I have to install anything, or anything about how it works. What I want to do, is to have a portion of my page to show text from another site. Is that RSS feed? Ah! I feel like such a newb...

Thanks in advance.

#2 2005-10-12 10:17:40

Cam
Website

Re: getting up a website

Hehe, this is easy. Rather than explain it all, I'll just do my new trick and post a link to a page on Wikipedia which will help. For you to do this, the site you want to get the data from will need to provide it in an RSS feed, then you'd need to parse it with an XML parser of some description. If the site doesn't offer the content in RSS format, you can still do what you want. It's called page scraping and isn't always a smiled upon activity so you'd need to follow some ettiquete (sp?).

If the site has a feed you can use best of luck to you. Use Google to find a tool that'll parse it for you, people have written stuff for most common languages that you could use. If they don't then we need more info. The best way to do it is to grab a copy of the page from the other site, store it in a flat-file or a database and then parse it and display it on your page like that, updating your copy from the original site every few hours or something. The reason you don't just grab it every page load is that then it sucks up their bandwidth which isn't free, bogs down their server if you are getting decent traffic and is generally very annoying.

Everybody is usually pretty happy and the internet is a free-for-all place if everybody shows a little respect for each other big_smile Let us know if I just confused the hell out of you wink

#3 2005-10-12 22:58:48

nightfrost

Wow. Thanks alot for the info. That was very useful. I'm gonna go through the wiki page. Although, you did manage to confuse me somewhat. I think I'm gonna try to experiment with this in the following way: I do have a blog set up called bblog. What I'm gonna try to do, is to have my normal homepage, which is XHTML, to show my blog. This should be possible, right?

#4 2005-10-12 23:14:01

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Cam wrote:

If the site has a feed you can use best of luck to you. Use Google to find a tool that'll parse it for you, people have written stuff for most common languages that you could use.

Hijack time:
http://www.google.com/reader/things/intro

#5 2005-10-12 23:21:59

nightfrost

phrakture wrote:
Cam wrote:

If the site has a feed you can use best of luck to you. Use Google to find a tool that'll parse it for you, people have written stuff for most common languages that you could use.

Hijack time:
http://www.google.com/reader/things/intro

Yes! This is precisely what I want to do. Especially the "If you know where a feed lives you can enter the feed URL." Now, I want to add that URL to my own webpage so that it shows the posts from my blog. Just as an experiment. How does one go about to do that?

EDIT: I think I've found what I need, http://www.rss-to-javascript.com/. Thanks alot guys. This whole thing is so much clearer now. That wikipage over at wikipedia was really good too smile[/url]

Board footer