You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-22 12:11:29

Pyke

Gnome 2.4 - Nautilus hangs

I am completely new to Arch Linux - have just completed installation of Arch 0.5 on my laptop which formerly ran Gentoo. I am impressed until now, but I have a problem with Gnome 2.4. I've installed all Gnome packages but when I start Gnome (from gdm) I first get an error message about Gnome not being able to resolve the host name of my machine to an IP address and when it comes to loading Nautilus it just hangs. I haven't run Gnome in more than 2 years so I have absolutely no idea about what to do ;-). Can anyone help?

And by the way, where is the config file for gdm - I want to add more sessions.

/Pyke

#2 2003-10-22 14:05:40

andy

Re: Gnome 2.4 - Nautilus hangs

About the name-IP issue, check /etc/hosts , if your domain is foo.bar it should contain (at least) the followng lines :

127.0.0.1                     localhost.foo.bar localhost
YOUR.IP.NUMBER     YOUR-MACHINE-NAME.foo.bar YOUR-MACHINE-NAME

why nautilus  hangs ? I don't know ...

how to configure gdm ? Once you are in Gnome, you can select in the config menu to configure gdm - just search through the various config menus. I also think, you can then configure it so that a configure option is visible in gdm itself already.

#3 2003-10-22 14:24:09

Pyke

Thanx. I had figured out the hosts file was to blame. However, it raises a new question: How do I make dhcpcd add the IP address and hostname of my machine automatically to the hosts file (I change domains quite often, so I don't want to have to do it manually).

Well, back to the Gnome problem. I better explain myself more clearly: Gnome simply doesn't start. It just hangs with the splash screen and the message "Loading Nautilus". Nothing happens after that and top shows me that Nautilus isn't loading - in fact no processes related to Gnome consume CPU time after that. Here's a list of what I've done on the box until now:

- install Arch 0.5 - only base packages
- configure the system
- install X and configure it
- install Gnome and add gdm to the daemon part of rc.conf

Shouldn't Gnome work out of the box on a completely new and clean system?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

#4 2003-10-22 15:45:57

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Usually you'll set your host name to point to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts.  That way, no matter which interfaces are up or down, as long as your loopback is configured correctly, you machine knows how to talk to itself.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2003-10-22 16:13:29

Pyke

Thanks again.

Now, I have succeeded in getting Gnome to run. It turned out that librsvg which apparently is needed by Nautilus had not been installed. Shouldn't pacman resolve these dependencies?

So now Gnome is running, but it's still no good: It starts with an empty panel (absolutely nothing is on it) in the top and icons are missing everywhere, e.g. in the toolbar of epiphany. Shouldn't it start with some default setup of panels and menus? And what about icons?

Any ideas?

#6 2003-10-22 16:35:28

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Unfortunatly, there is a bug with gnome 2.4 and 'first time users'.  If your user(s) had previously logged into Gnome 2.2 and then upgraded to Gnome 2.4, you'd be fine.

If you haven't spent too much time configuring your system and have the full Arch 0.5 CD, I would recommend a re-install as the easiest way to get up and running.

The full Arch 0.5 CD contains gnome 2.2.  Re-install your system and use the Gnome 2.2 packages off the CD.  Log in with all of the users on your system that will be using Gnome to create their initial desktop configuration.  After that, it is safe to upgrade to Gnome 2.4.  Remeber, you need the full CD - not the mini-100M version.

I believe the Gnome package maintainer is aware of the problem and is working on a fix.  You could use another window manager for the short term and keep on eye on BUGS page for the fix.

Cheers,
farphel

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#7 2003-10-23 06:39:04

Pyke

Thank you farphel. I did as you said and started out with the deault setup of Gnome 2.2. Gnome 2.4 is now - almost - running flawlessly. There is still one issue: Gnome complains that it doesn't recognise the image format svg. For exmaple, when I run gnome-theme-manager I get loads of errors like:

Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/opt/gnome/share/icons/Wasp/scalable/stock/folder.svg'

Icons of type svg just displays as the well-known X making a lot of the themes unusable. The svg mime type is defined in the file associations, so I really don't get it. The worst thing is that on my first install I had the same problem but somehow solved it by upgrading librsvg and reinstalling gnome. However, I cannot seem to get the same result now.

/Pyke

#8 2003-10-23 10:56:52

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Sorry Pyke,  you've got me there.  I get a slew of output about not finding files/etc when I fire up gnome-theme-manager from the command-line, but it seems to work ok.  I'm 'rediscovering' Gnome for the first time in about five years, so consider me a gnome-n00b (or is that gn00b)  smile

In addition to 're-installing' librsvg and gnome, did you also re-install gdk-pixbuf?  It's just a guess, but according to the desc for librsvg, it says it converts them to gdk-pixbufs *shrug*.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#9 2003-10-23 16:04:06

Pyke

I have solved the problem now. A posting at the Gnome user forum led me to the answer which was to upgrade gdk-pixbuf, gtk2, gnome-theme-manager and the gnome-panel after having upgraded librsvg. It seems that gtk2 and the gnome-panel did not recognise the svg mime type. But now everything is looking good and I can now concentrate on re-discovering Gnome, which I must say is beginning to look very great! :-D

Thanks to all for the help,
/Pyke

Board footer