You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-21 13:16:55

daemoon

[SOLVED] Intel Wifi Link 5300 no WPA2 support after suspend

When installing Arch on my Thinkpad X200 with a built-in Intel Wifi Link 5300 the connection via wifi-menu worked without any problems. After researching the topic I found out that the required driver is in the kernel. So I installed Arch and ever since used netcfg for connecting to my Fritz-Box WLAN router which also didn't cause any troubles until today.

As I went to bed I set the laptop to suspend mode and after waking up woke it up again - my daily routine now for quite a few weeks. But today the WPA2 connection would not establish as it used to do every day before. So I tried rebooting and trying it again with the same result "> WPA Authentication/Association Failed". But setting up a open wifi-connection without encryption functioned.

After this I thought it might be a software problem and started arch again from a live USB stick (archlinux-2013.02.01-dual.iso). The same issue: connecting to an unencrypted network does work, but not to a WPA2 secured one.

As one can see it certainly isn't any software's fault, as netcfg and wifi-menu show the same behaviour. Does the kernel driver for my wifi card change some registers when suspending? If so how could I fix this problem? Thank you in advance.

lspci | grep WiFi

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300

uname -a

Linux thinkpad-x200 3.7.9-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 18 02:13:30 EET 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/network.d/network

CONNECTION='wireless'
DESCRIPTION='A simple WPA encrypted wireless connection'
INTERFACE='wlp3s0'
SECURITY='wpa'

ESSID='myssid'
## Uncomment if the supplied ESSID is hexadecimal
#ESSID_TYPE='hex'
KEY='mykey'

IP='dhcp' 

# Uncomment this if your ssid is hidden
#HIDDEN=yes

Last edited by daemoon (2013-02-22 13:26:26)

#2 2013-02-21 13:35:17

elkoraco

Re: [SOLVED] Intel Wifi Link 5300 no WPA2 support after suspend

My router does this from time to time as well. At a certain point (no idea what the reason is, I never cared to investigate), it refuses to issue a DHCP lease on WPA2. If I reboot the router, it works again. You could try dhcpcd -E, dhcpcd -k followed by dhcpcd <interface> and so on. Look at the man page. This may or may not work (I use dhclient myself), but the only sure solution I found is resetting the router.

#3 2013-02-21 13:38:55

daemoon

Oh what a shame. The problem was the Fritz-Box not working correctly - just rebooting it did the trick. Please delete this topic to prevent confusion. Thanks.

#4 2013-02-21 22:04:15

elkoraco

I haven't opened a thread here yet, but the general rule on Linux forums is to edit the title and add [SOLVED] to the beginning.

Board footer