Moo-Crumpus

Re: Xara announces Xtreme Open Source

This is very welcome.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#3 2005-10-13 13:37:12

nightfrost

Indeed. But I can't help to wonder how they're planning to make money on this...  :?

#4 2005-10-13 15:19:00

deficite

It's funny how they think that releasing their Xtreme product is going to make people start using Linux. They really think they have that power with some little graphics program.

Required Reading: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net … e_bullshit

#5 2005-10-13 15:34:31

nightfrost

I think there's something to it though. I've always seen this as the big dilemma : There's a lot of people who would like to go over to linux due to various reasons, such no virus, no spyware, no defrag, or just because of ideological reasons, or that they have something against MS, or whatever. But they can't. Because these people work as architects, designers, and record producers. So, they can't use their Photoshop, Autocad, or Cubase, or any other defacto standard program within their line of work.

Now, they're problem could be solved if Adobe, Autodesk et. al. would release their applications for linux. But if most linux users (after such a imagined moveover) would run the same proprietary programs that they used to run under Windows, then that could indeed be very hazardous for linux in a way. If the entire OS would just be this supportive little thing that enables you to run Adobe this and Autodesk that, the whole FLOSS idea take X-Treme (:-)) damage. I'm sure lots of people wouldn't agree, but I'm one of those ideologists.

Anyway, this is what's so great about Xara. If it's released under GPL, then they solve that dilemma for me. However, I still don't understand how they plan to make money.

Yeah well, ever since business started to get a footing, they've always tried to 1) create trends and 2) sell things that fit that trend. It's just that the trend now is to be extreme and all wacko. Nothing new there though. At one point products were geared towards the "gentleman", that probably pissed lot of people off as well.

#6 2005-10-14 05:21:57

deficite

The thing is, give this a year and it will fall from existance. This isn't the first thing that decided to cater to the "niche" market. I'm not going to change my thoughts on this until I see action. They have a lot to prove. I think this is just overhyped fanaticism and will die off soon.

But on top of all this, one little piece of software isn't going to make a dent. The "de-face" standard apps, like Photoshop, Autocad, or Cubase (which honestly, mostly all suck) have the name, and that's the only thing that sells their annual versions of their software. Seriously, Maya 7 added like one new shader and some new texturing stuff, and they're charging a bunch of money for upgrades and stuff, AND PEOPLE BUY IT.

So basically, if they want to say that they can change the entire computer industry, I say "bring it on". All the power to them if they're capable of it, I just don't think they are.

#7 2005-10-14 11:53:34

nightfrost

The "de-face" standard apps, like Photoshop, Autocad, or Cubase (which honestly, mostly all suck) have the name, and that's the only thing that sells their annual versions of their software.

In all honesty, there's a lot of talk about these applications being crappy or not, and whether their opensource equivalents are better or not, but that's all totally irrelevant. The business that uses photoshop has been partly created by photoshop, the business that uses autocad has been partly created by autocad. One who uses photoshop in his or her everyday work, needs photoshop because of what photoshop does, not because it's good or not.

So basically, if they want to say that they can change the entire computer industry, I say "bring it on". All the power to them if they're capable of it, I just don't think they are.

Sure, I don't think anyone would say that one application could change the entire computer industry. I don't think anyone would, except those that produce that application. What could change the computer industry, on the other hand, is if the defacto standards would follow suite. Now, I do have a hard time imagining photopshop released as open source, but that's cause I still don't understand how they make dough on their open source applications.

#8 2005-10-14 16:06:37

deficite

I'm not continuing this argument any farther. You don't understand what I'm saying, so there is no point.

#9 2005-10-14 16:16:10

nightfrost

deficite wrote:

I'm not continuing this argument any farther. You don't understand what I'm saying, so there is no point.

That's a very nice way to put an end to an argumentation. Bravo. Keep in mind though, me not understanding you probably means you're not understanding me either. Well, whatever.

#10 2005-10-14 17:51:12

shadowhand
Website

As an open source artist and graphic designer, I was overjoyed to learn about Xara's existence, and that it was going to be open source. I'm all for it.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#11 2006-03-17 21:47:38

slapo
Website

Regards,
     Slapo
www.slapo.net

Board footer