You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-13 19:57:32

jftaylor21

Anyone know of a good internet history emailer?

Sorry, but I don't know what the proper name of this program would be. Basically what I need is something that keeps track of your internet history and emails it to an admin about once a week. Ideally, it should keep the history in a separate log file so that the user would not be able to simply clear history. If there is not something like this already packaged, I would be more than happy to create a package myself and place it in the AUR.

Any suggestions?

#2 2005-10-13 22:36:50

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Anyone know of a good internet history emailer?

I believe it is called 'an upstream web proxy'.
Look into squid with logging or something.

Don't rely on information on the client box. Snag it a little ways upstream appropriately. Besides... keystroke loggers, internet history...all that makes me think of is bad stuff. sad

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-10-14 00:37:14

sh__

This might be tricky if you want to monitor a tech-savvy user. Most browsers run with user privileges, so it is hard to prevent the users from tampering with the session data (ie., history). On the other hand, upstream logging can be circumvented quite easily by using a certain vegetable router. To counter that, you should not let the user install any software, disable access to gcc etc. which might be bit of an overkill.

There was some commercial windows program for spying your family members or whatever. It had the option of taking snapshots of the screen every five minutes or so. You could probably write up a cronjob for the same task, and save the images to a place where the user has no access. Of course, that would completely violate the privacy of the poor user (or anyone logging to X).

#4 2005-10-15 00:59:22

jftaylor21

Thanks for the replies, I will look into them when I have time and post the results for future reference.

Board footer