You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-01 04:31:56

metaf5

Trouble with UEFI Vaio

Hi,
I've been struggling with arch and the UEFI laptop.  In legacy mode on my laptop, it just complains that there's no OS found in all the cases I've examined.  So, I decided to leave it in UEFI mode, which gives the added bonus of being able to boot Win8 if I should ever need it.

So, I've followed these instructions:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … _USB_drive
with the appropriate detour over to : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … B_from_ISO.

Problem 1:

sudo awk 'BEGIN {FS="="} /archisolabel/ {print $3}' /mnt/iso/loader/entries/archiso-x86_64.conf | xargs mkfs.vfat -F32 /dev/sdg1 -n

returns the following:

mkfs.vfat 3.0.12 (29 Oct 2011)
/dev/sdg1: Permission denied

So, I just manually ran

"sudo mkfs.vfat -F32 /dev/sdg1 -n ARCH_201302"

, which appears to work.
Then I complete the mount/copy/sync/umount, and go back to the first page.

So now, I've got a fat32 disk with everything copied in from the ISO, and the label set to ARCH2013_02.
I follow the instructions, and everything seems to go fine (even the sed command to do the uuid stuff, which wasn't working on previous attempts).

...and this time it just tells me OS not found again, when I try to boot.  The farthest I've previously gotten was the the "Device didn't show up in 30 seconds", where I get dumped to a root terminal.  I've tried symlinking what I think is the correct
device to what it thinks is the correct device, along with doing the mounting for it.  The farthest that's ever gotten is to something that tells me to check dmesg | tail, where I found a message complaining about the FAT32 disk having bogus sectors I think.

Does anyone have any ideas for any of these problems?  (My current OS not found after redoing some steps, or the problem I'll likely run into if I manage to get past the OS not found)

Thanks.

Last edited by metaf5 (2013-03-04 01:18:47)

#2 2013-03-02 03:05:03

metaf5

Re: Trouble with UEFI Vaio

Updating:

I just tossed a 'sudo' in after the pipe in the awk command, and that made it run okay.  (That made no difference though.).  I still get stuck at the "30 seconds" error, where I can try mounting /dev/sdb1 to /run/something/something where it asks for it...but then it complains about the FS (wrong type/bad superblock/bogus sectors/etc).

#3 2013-03-02 23:52:26

cfr

Have I understood correctly in thinking that you are trying to create a USB medium from the current Arch .iso which will be bootable in UEFI mode but without overwriting the existing contents of the USB key?

If so, do you know whether that is possible? Those instructions seem to be for legacy/bios booting since they use syslinux which doesn't (except in alpha) support UEFI booting that I know of.

Also, please use [code ][/code ] tags (without the spaces).

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#4 2013-03-04 01:17:50

metaf5

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do...and as far as I know that part is not the problem.  I get to a UEFI boot selection screen that lets me choose between UEFI shells and Arch.  When I select Arch, everything goes well until the 30 seconds error.  (If I put my BIOS in legacy mode, it doesn't even boot.)  So, it seems that it is possible at least partly...I don't know enough about the boot process to say if it's failing because of UEFI or something unrelated.

#5 2013-03-05 13:44:11

metaf5

Update:  Solved, and as usual, there was stupid user error involved:

I was using the USB 2.0 port the whole time, when I needed to use the 3.0 port.  (It's a 2.0 drive, so I didn't think I'd want the 3.0...but I did.)
This solution likely only applies to similar models to the Vaio SVT13122CXS.

Board footer