Hi all. When I boot up my desktop it refuses to launch "volumeicon," regardless if it is done by autostart methods, by the commandline or what-have-you. I get this when I try to launch it through the terminal:
volumeicon: alsa_backend.c:92: asound_get_volume: Assertion 'm_elem != ((void *)0)' failed.
It also seems to cause systemd-journal to eat up 90+% of the cpu when I try launch it, but the journal only has one line telling me that volumeicon dumped core...whatever that means.
Last edited by felixculpa (2013-03-09 20:14:51)
What version you running?
I am running the latest, I update the computer once a week. It seems to be a random 'no sound problem' at boot, which is documented as a problem on the wiki Alsa page. For now I restarted the alsa-restore and alsa-store services and set up an .asoundrc file to set the default sound card, as when I would open up alsamixer it would show that the default sound card was set to use the usb webcam (wierd).
I now have the volumeicon but there is no sound output despite the Master, PCM and other settings set to max, at least using mpd. I will try restarting mpd and the computer and will update on the situation.
Edit: still no sound, I have a feeling I can pinpoint the problem using the wiki but it will take awhile to figure it out unless someone wants or can point me to the quickest debugging procedure.
Last edited by felixculpa (2013-03-03 22:23:00)
I still get no sound output, for anything. Nothing is muted in alsamixer... I don't know what the problem is.
I have a similar problem: volume-icon fails to start if put into Xfce's autostart list with exactly the same error. If started manually, it runs fine, though. Sound output works fine regardless of whether volume-icon has started or not. Using Alsa and Pulse.
Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux | Notebook: Thinkpad X200 Tablet, Manjaro
The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work. - Tuomas Lukka
I am not sure if this is what fixed the problem or not, but in my environment I changed my .asoundrc from:
defaults.pcm.card 2 defaults.pcm.device 2 defaults.ctl.card 2
defaults.pcm.card 2 defaults.pcm.device 0 defaults.ctl.card 2
and now I have sound. I set up mpd to use PCM as well and it works fine.