You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-17 07:12:18

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

The Ubuntu Juggernaut

who generously donated US$10 million to create the Ubuntu Foundation

Taken from - THE UBUNTU JUGGERNAUT

And what do we got?  I never knew this about Ubuntu.  People often compare us to gentoo, which is a massive distro, and the other often mentioned distros are Slack and Ubuntu,  If Ubuntu have THAT much money to throw at a problem and Slackware has basically YEARS of topflight experience I reckon we are coming along pretty well!

I'd also like to note that money does not equal a good distro, I mean, look at Microsoft, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Lets look at forum membership:

Ubuntu: 46,705 - with 152 MEMBERS online when I looked and 79,357 THREADS
gentoo: 97,581 - with 51 MEMBERS online when I looked and 2,752,298 THREADS
Arch: 4,560 - with 6 MEMBERS online when I looked (inc. me, phrak and cactus) and 105,081 THREADS

Not sure what that tells us...

I'd like to stress that this purely a comparison of distro SIZE, not quality, this is nothing to do with what is "best" - just about size and progress

#2 2005-10-17 07:18:05

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: The Ubuntu Juggernaut

Well, mark shuttleworth was also a mainline debian developer for quite a while..and was even considered as a potential candidate for the DPL position at one point (he dicided not to run).

He sold his start up security company, and made his fortune. He decided to 'give back' to the community that helped him get his $$, and to be generally philanthropic. So he started a debain polisher distro, and setup a foundation for it, and hired some smarties.

that is my understanding from what I have read and heard. He seems like a pretty nice chap from the interviews and writings of his that i have seen. Never met the guy though.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer