You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-07 20:53:32

spottedgeckgo
Website

Does wine officially support USB yet?

Sorry, if this has been covered, I can't find it, either here or on google.  There are plenty of dated posts about how great it would be if wine supported USB drives etc.  I can't find any joyous "it finally works" threads anywhere, though the support questions seem to stop sometime at the beginning of 2012, and the patches list for usb support goes from 1.5.7 to "current".  I downloaded the patches just in case, I'm running 1.5.24 right now (don't know if theres a build for 1.5.25 but I don't need it and I'm a little timid about the -Syu, might try it this time home).  My plan was to figure out if it doesn't work and then install the patches.  Hmm, that sentence warrants some explaination.

I'm an RC Hobby guy and I'm going to be updating the firmware on one of my remotes.  The software written for the update process is written for windows, and the trasmitter acts like a USB FAT32 stick at one point, that part I'm not worried about, but the firmware upgrade itself will need to recognize the transmitter through the USB port to do the firmware update, and that part must be run under M$.

So basically, just thinking ahead.  The software is working but I won't be home to try this for a couple more days, just trying to nip some problems in the bud.  I plugged a playstation controller in and it was recognized by wine.  Couldn't use it but that is another story altogether.  Anyone know which version of wine the usb stuff became availible, if at all?  I may need it for my writeup on the helicopter website for firmware upgrades under linux as I think the current stable release of wine has not been working for the ubuntu crowd.

#2 2013-03-07 21:34:13

chris_l

Re: Does wine officially support USB yet?

spottedgeckgo wrote:

I'm going to be updating the firmware on one of my remotes.  The software written for the update process is written for windows, and the trasmitter acts like a USB FAT32 stick at one point, that part I'm not worried about, but the firmware upgrade itself will need to recognize the transmitter through the USB port to do the firmware update, and that part must be run under M$.

I would not try to do flashing via wine if it were supported, but as far as I know, that is not the case.

Your controller is supported, but not by wine directly communicating to the usb, but using userspace methods, same way you can mount an usb stick with an exe file and run it with wine, and does not mean wine is directly having raw communication with the usb stick.

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#3 2013-03-07 21:56:47

spottedgeckgo
Website

Hmm, I was going to test the controller on a simulator running under wine to ensure comms.  But I guess even if that works it would still not be advisable to flash the controller through USB?  Actually, that may explain why the playstation controller was unusable when I tried it this morning on the sim.  The program recognized it and loaded it, but it was not recognising my stick inputs.  I may have to do some research on other win-skins like playonlinux.  I have other options, but none of them appealing.  The most obvious is to install the software on my wife's desktop when I get home sad  Thanks for the input.

#4 2013-03-07 23:31:14

spottedgeckgo
Website

Has anyone flashed a DfuSe hardware using dfu-utils?  I couldn't find this under pacman (much to my surprise) or in the ABS.  There is one that is 0.7 (pretty sure that's the latest stable release) in the AUR.

Board footer