You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-13 16:40:33

jayesh.badwaik90

[SOLVED] Is it possible to backup system by dd-copying partitions?

Hi,

I have an LVM partitioned system and I am thinking of converting it to LUKS. I wonder whether  I can just dd my partitions or do I need to reinstalle the complete system. I am not planning to touch the bootloader (GRUB2) which is installed in /dev/sda. Apart from that my current config and desired config are as follows:

1. Current Disk Config (Partition Table GPT)
Partition 1: BIOS boot Partition  Code EF02
Partition 2: Linux LVM Code 8EOO
separate logical volumes for /home, / , swap, /tmp etc

2. Desired Config (Partition Table GPT)
Partition 1: BIOS boot Partition  Code EF02
Partition 2:  LUKS Then install LVM on that LUKS, create logical volumes. Then dd the current images onto the logical volumes.
and make corresponding entry changes in fstab.

Will this work? Are there any kinks I should be aware of?

Last edited by jayesh.badwaik90 (2013-03-14 12:26:52)

#2 2013-03-13 18:02:38

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED] Is it possible to backup system by dd-copying partitions?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fu … with_rsync

Back it up on a Linux partition, so that the permissions don't get wiped out. If you don't have a Linux partition (ext3, ext4, Btrfs, etc) large enough to hold your system (including /home), and you only have an NTFS partition, create a container on this NTFS partition and transfer it like it says in this article.

Last edited by DSpider (2013-03-13 18:06:14)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2013-03-13 18:19:25

jayesh.badwaik90

Re: [SOLVED] Is it possible to backup system by dd-copying partitions?

Ahaa, thanks. Not sure why I did not find this before. I have linux partitions alright. So permissiosn etc should not be an issue. Thanks a lot!

Board footer