You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-24 22:25:16

yuszuv

libMagickCore-Q16.so.7 - Trying to understand what happened

Hi,

I'm relatively new to arch and I'm no experienced C compiler, but anyway I want to understand how my linux distro works under the hood and what went wrong, when I simply typed 'pacman -Syu'. Perhaps someone can help me smile The situation is as follows:

I was playing aroud with the upcoming release of rails, building an app, that uses the 'rmagick' gem (freakin cool ruby way to say 'package'; in case you don't know). But upgrading my arch as usual, for a few days now my rails server doesn't start anymore, instead saying:

/home/jan/.rbenv/versions/2.0.0-p0/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/activesupport-4.0.0.beta1/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:228:in `require': libMagickCore-Q16.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory - /home/jan/.rbenv/versions/2.0.0-p0/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/rmagick-2.13.2/lib/RMagick2.so (LoadError)

But:

$ ls -l /home/jan/.rbenv/versions/2.0.0-p0/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/rmagick-2.13.2/lib/RMagick2.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 jan users 528487 Mar  9 04:22 /home/jan/.rbenv/versions/2.0.0-p0/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/rmagick-2.13.2/lib/RMagick2.so

So this file seems to exist at all.

And a quick search on my file system yields

$ sudo find / -iname "*libmagickcore*"                                                             
/usr/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.1
/usr/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q16.so

So (for me) it seems, that there is a naming problem with this so called .so file (compare to the " libMagickCore-Q16.so.7" part in the error above). I read in another forum concerning a similiar problem to do some magic with 'ldconfig' and I tried this, but this didn't help, too. I also read some stuff about symlinking files. But I don't want to do this since I don't know, what I'm doing with that. I'd rather like to understand what's going wrong here. Can someone help? Or can I provide further information that's helpful?

Thanks

Jan

#2 2013-03-25 11:47:34

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: libMagickCore-Q16.so.7 - Trying to understand what happened

the error message means that /home/jan/.rbenv/versions/2.0.0-p0/lib/ruby/gems/2.0.0/gems/rmagick-2.13.2/lib/RMagick2.so NEEDS libMagickCore-Q16.so.7 , and that is the file that doesn't exist.

the libMagickCore-6.* files belong to the imagemagick program.

A search for libMagickCore-Q16.so.7 shows that imagemagick changed the library naming , starting with version 6.8.0-8

These links will give more info : 
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=13859
http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-se … =3&t=22352

you can try building rails against the new version, but if ruby is build through CMake that won't work unless you use  a git version or CMake 2.8.11 is released.

A temp workaround would be to revert to the last version of imagemagick before the change was made.
Look at the changes for arch imagemagick to figure out which version that would be.
(pacman log can also help with this).

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer