You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-30 11:08:55

Apple

Restarting arch installation [SOLVED]

Hello, I may be asking a stupid question and if so I apologise in advance.

I was running pacstrap when the screen went black - It was similar to a screensaver except no key would get rid of it. Also I could just about see the faint outline of the text on screen. It also seemed that I could issue commands ("man ls" changed the faint outlines and "q" changed them back, though I couldn't tell what was on the dispplay).

I thought using

setterm -blank 0

like the thread in https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69033 would work, and am about to try it, but I don't know what to do about the files installed by pacstrap the first time round.

I don't know whether I got the whole base or not, so I thought I'd ask whether I should remove everything in the mounted partition I want Arch on, or if pacstrap will automatically ignore or clobber existing files.

Thanks for any replies.

Apple

Last edited by Apple (2013-03-30 13:17:41)

#2 2013-03-30 11:17:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Restarting arch installation [SOLVED]

It sounds like your screens backlight shut off - I'm not sure why this would happen, though.

If `man ls` and `q` worked as you described, then the pacstrap command had finished and those packages are all installed --- assuming pacstrap completed without error.

If you don't like that assumption, though, there would be no harm in running it again.  Pacman will happily reinstall existing packages and "clobber" existing files as needed.  It will give an error about $PKG being already installed and let you know it's just reinstalling it.  Pacstrap is just a pacman wrapper, so it will likely give the same warnings.

So in short, by all means just pick back up with `pacstrap \mnt base base-devel`.  Of course if you've rebooted, make sure all the right partitions are mounted again first.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-03-30 12:53:13

Apple

Thanks - not sure how to mark the question as solved.

#4 2013-03-30 12:54:16

parazyd
Website

Apple wrote:

Thanks - not sure how to mark the question as solved.

Just edit your first post and append [SOLVED] to the title.

Board footer