You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-31 19:05:28

Piggoz

Archlinux guest on VMware X problem after latest update

I can't remember if it was like one month I didn't update my VMware Archlinux VM then the latest upgrade pretty much broken my VM.

To be able to use X again I had to downgrade Xorg server to version 1.13.2-1 and relatives Xorg device drivers to related versions.

3D is enabled, then it makes no difference if I disable it.

Then, also like this, I need a special switch to start X session:

startx -- -extension GLX

If I simply type "startx" X screen goes blank and the VM is freezed, totally blocked, I have to reset. In Xorg.0.log there is no apparent error.

If I do use the latest Xorg server (1.14.0-2) and relatives Xorg device drivers the behaviour is apparently the same (no log errors, X load blocked on blank screen) then if I do use:

startx -- -extension GLX

in this case it apparently load like with older Xorg server,it show the mouse cursor then at some point before loading the desktop it crash with a "unable to communicate" or so message not recorded in any log, becouse apparently X session load was fine.

What happen under the hood? I think I'm not the only to have this problem, considering it happened in ALL my 3 Archlinux Virtual Machine.

I have to admit to use Archlinux as a VM guest, starting like six month ago, it become more and more complicated, there is always some new issue.

Obviously I do use open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools modules and they are setup pretty fine apparently.

Thankx for any fix, idea or whatever.

PS: I'm not new at Archlinux at all, I think I started using it, mainly as a guest in VMware, like in 2006 or so.

Last edited by Piggoz (2013-03-31 19:07:22)

#2 2013-03-31 20:14:38

hungerfish

Re: Archlinux guest on VMware X problem after latest update

Well, I've also not had much luck running arch inside vmware, ever since systemd upgrade. Note,its not much todo with systemd itself, merely timing I guess wink
See my old thread for some details.
Anyway, I'm seeing the same problem regarding xorg. However, if you look at this, it is to be expected and until vmware fix things, you'll need to stick with the older server.
Use this repo to make things easier...

I must say though, that atm, I've got no '3D', glxinfo just doesn't work, gnome 'falls back', and if I don't parse '-- -extension GLX' to startx like you said the server just crashes (xorg113) ...
I don't consider ArchLinux usable with vmware right now sad

Beetles and bacteria are vastly more successful than humans in terms of survival.

#3 2013-04-01 08:39:52

Piggoz

hungerfish wrote:

Well, I've also not had much luck running arch inside vmware, ever since systemd upgrade. Note,its not much todo with systemd itself, merely timing I guess wink
See my old thread for some details.
Anyway, I'm seeing the same problem regarding xorg. However, if you look at this, it is to be expected and until vmware fix things, you'll need to stick with the older server.
Use this repo to make things easier...

I must say though, that atm, I've got no '3D', glxinfo just doesn't work, gnome 'falls back', and if I don't parse '-- -extension GLX' to startx like you said the server just crashes (xorg113) ...
I don't consider ArchLinux usable with vmware right now sad

Thankx for your reply. Sad to hear it is a common issue, just wondering why it is pretty much not reported on the web. It means probably it is true that we Linux desktop users are a very little percentage of the desktop users in the world, and Linux virtual machines users are even less and consequently Linux Archlinux desktop virtual machines users are just little few of the micro percentage and didn't find any problem becouse they do have outdated system.

I confirm 3D Gnome Desktop do not work here too (fallback mode). Now it is also impossible to load the GDM login screen becouse I think I have to pass the parameter (-extension GLX) to it to avoid X system freeze and I don't know where to put the line of code or if it is even possible to pass the parameter to it.

I also wrote on VMware Workstation official forum about the problem and I'm waiting for someone to reply.

#4 2013-04-01 13:15:51

hungerfish

I also wrote on VMware Workstation official forum about the problem and I'm waiting for someone to reply.

If you hear back, let me know. I don't actually know if the mentioned bug report ever got reported to them. I mean, eventually they'll have to tackle it, once their supported linux guests catch up with archlinux and xserver 114.
We'll see, I'm just glad that I have a 'native' arch install available smile

Beetles and bacteria are vastly more successful than humans in terms of survival.

Board footer