You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-02 01:19:36

zezhyrule3

Vim Cheat Sheets for Programmer Dvorak

I saw a very nice vim cheat sheet on this site and loved it, so I thought I'd translate it to programmer's dvorak since I recently switched to that from normal dvorak (and also recently started using vim as well).

Here's the version for standard keyboard layouts (or whatever the right term is): http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1396/vimprogdvorak.png
And I also made one fitting the TypeMatrix 2030's layout since that's the keyboard I use: http://imageshack.us/a/img545/4378/vimt … dvorak.png

Hope someone will find these useful :3

Edit: Messed around with xmodmap a bit to get a layout that seems to make a bit more sense to me. Here it is if anyone is interested: http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/4378 … dvorak.png Pretty much just switched i and u (like in ddvorak) and made all the bracket things fall on the same finger in each hand. I like this a lot smile

Last edited by zezhyrule3 (2013-04-02 02:41:25)

- dots -

#2 2013-04-02 02:13:36

drcouzelis
Website

Re: Vim Cheat Sheets for Programmer Dvorak

I just want to add, I love using Vim with Dvorak! At first I thought it'd be weird, what with all the shortcuts, but I now think it's better than with QWERTY.

My favorite part is that I don't have to "shift" my hands to use HJKL. smile

#3 2013-04-02 06:59:59

jakobcreutzfeldt

How are you finding programmer's Dvorak to be? Is it worth the switch? Does it get in the way of normal text typing?

#4 2013-04-02 13:42:53

zezhyrule3

You'll have to give me a bit more time, heh. As far as vim goes, it's a little weird having to hold shift to access the numbers in normal mode (for doing a command x times, jumping to a specific line, etc.) but when writing the actual C code it seems much easier, as all the punctuation happens to be used a lot more than numbers. I'll need more time to see if it's worth the trade-off. As far as normal typing goes, so far I haven't had any problems. I'm usually not writing lots of numbers at once, and if I happen to be, there's always the nice 'embedded' numpad on the typematrix. Most of the punctuation again seems to be much easier to reach. The apostrophe and colon keys are switched, which in normal typing doesn't make much sense since the apostrophe is used so much. I liked the feeling of moving my pinky up to hit that key, so I might change it but I'm not sure for now. Edit: nevermind that, feels great on the typematrix. On a normal keyboard, it'd suck though. I'll stick with the layout a few weeks so I have time to get fully used to it before I decide if I'll keep it or not.

Last edited by zezhyrule3 (2013-04-02 21:16:07)

- dots -

#5 2013-04-03 04:35:23

zezhyrule3

I am a crazy bastard, but this works and I think I love it

" I use programmer dvorak because why not. map all the
" punctuation in the number row (non-shifted) to send numbers in normal mode
" since they're used so often, but in insert mode they will
" be the punctuation. note that I use a slightly modified layout, so if
" you c/p this it will not work the same with normal programmer dvorak.
noremap [ 7
noremap { 5
noremap ( 3
noremap + 1
noremap = 9
noremap ) 0
noremap } 2
noremap ] 4
noremap * 6
noremap ! 8
noremap 7 [
noremap 5 {
noremap 1 +
noremap 9 =
noremap 0 )
noremap 2 }
noremap 4 ]
noremap 6 *
noremap 8 !

Last edited by zezhyrule3 (2013-04-03 04:35:40)

- dots -

Board footer