You are not logged in.

#76 2006-02-18 16:46:33

eyolf
Website

Re: favourite file manager and why

Had this been a Windows list, the only valid answer would have been: "Whaddayamean favorite? Are you implying there are alternatives?!" which translates to: Total Commander is heads and shoulders ahead of any other file manager.
Now, since this is Linux... I would have liked to say: "Krusader is a good replacement", but there are some problems: it's slightly on the slow side (even for a KDE user), it tends to crash (although most of the crashes are apparently caused by a bug in Qt), and it lacks some basic functionality (first and foremost the 'Branch view' - a flat display of all files in all subfolders). It's the manager I have open all the time on my "system" desktop, but I need other apps for some tasks. Northern Captain has a good, quick branch view, but lacks tabs; tuxcommander is nice and lean, but it doesn't pose any threat to Krusader.
The only app which does so, all round, is mc. I tend to use it more often than krusader. With some kind of tab feature, and a branch view, and it would have been the only file manager I need...

#77 2006-02-18 18:05:11

mac57
Website

For those of you that *also* run windows, check out 2xExplorer, or its evolved cousin, explorer2. This software was written with an emphasis on keeping the code size small and the overall result very fast.

2xExplorer is the best file manager I have ever found for windows. As the name suggests, it is a dual pane file manager, although rather like xfe, it supports a one pane view and a three pane with tree view.

2xExplorer is freeware, although its more evolved cousin, explorer2 is not: there is a functionality reduced free version and then the pay version with all the bells and whistles. Frankly, I have tried out explorer2 and prefer 2xExplorer. Give it a whirl - you will be amazed by what it can do, and how fast it can do it.

Get 2xExplorer here: http://www.netez.com/2xExplorer/

Although most of this  page looks like it about explorer2, you can still get 2xExplorer via the blue "download" box on the lower right of the page.

Check out editor2 as well, the freestanding editor this guy has produced too. It employs a similar "small, fast and capable" approach.

I couldn't exist in a Windows environment without 2xExplorer and editor2 these days - almost as essential as Midnight Commander is to Linux.

Before anyone flames me, I will gladly ditch Windows *entirely* as soon as they release Adobe Photoshop for Linux and iTunes for Linux. BTW, I don't *really* see running these under Wine or Crossover Office as a reasonable alternative. Hence, I keep a dual boot with Windows just for these two apps.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#78 2006-02-27 23:08:26

test1000

adobe photoshop works with newest wine... if u wanna be sure download a trial and try it with that first.. itunes have worked for a long time i think.. but wine.. can regress i know. What u want to do is install the wine that runs all your critical apps to $HOME or something, and have another wine install for all your other stuff. that's just an idea though and might turn out to be "timy", or not.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#79 2006-02-28 17:10:18

Euphoric Nightmare

rxvt and xterm.

Why?  Why not.

#80 2007-08-26 12:42:25

eyolf
Website

I've tried to build vfu from AUR, but I get the following errors:

==> Starting build()...
make -C vslib
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/eyolf/.yaourt/tmp/yaourt-tmp-eyolf/aur-vfu/vfu/src/vfu-20050815/vslib'
make -C pcre
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/eyolf/.yaourt/tmp/yaourt-tmp-eyolf/aur-vfu/vfu/src/vfu-20050815/vslib/pcre'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `default'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/eyolf/.yaourt/tmp/yaourt-tmp-eyolf/aur-vfu/vfu/src/vfu-20050815/vslib/pcre'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/eyolf/.yaourt/tmp/yaourt-tmp-eyolf/aur-vfu/vfu/src/vfu-20050815/vslib'
make -C vfu
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/eyolf/.yaourt/tmp/yaourt-tmp-eyolf/aur-vfu/vfu/src/vfu-20050815/vfu'
g++  -I../vslib -I../vslib/pcre -I/usr/include/ncurses -O2   -c see.cpp              -o .OBJ.vfu/see.o
In file included from /usr/include/unistd.h:837,
                 from ../vslib/vsuti.h:20,
                 from ../vslib/vslib.h:18,
                 from see.h:15,
                 from see.cpp:15:
../vslib/getopt2.h:19: error: previous declaration of 'char* optarg' with 'C++' linkage
/usr/include/getopt.h:59: error: conflicts with new declaration with 'C' linkage
../vslib/getopt2.h:20: error: previous declaration of 'int optind' with 'C++' linkage
/usr/include/getopt.h:73: error: conflicts with new declaration with 'C' linkage
../vslib/getopt2.h:21: error: previous declaration of 'int opterr' with 'C++' linkage
/usr/include/getopt.h:78: error: conflicts with new declaration with 'C' linkage
../vslib/getopt2.h:22: error: previous declaration of 'int optopt' with 'C++' linkage
/usr/include/getopt.h:82: error: conflicts with new declaration with 'C' linkage
make[1]: *** [.OBJ.vfu/see.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/eyolf/.yaourt/tmp/yaourt-tmp-eyolf/aur-vfu/vfu/src/vfu-20050815/vfu'
make: *** [modules] Error 2
PKGBUILD: line 19: return1: command not found
cp: cannot stat `vfu/vfu': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `vfu': No such file or directory
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

#81 2007-08-26 13:47:37

shining
Pacman Developer

Euphoric Nightmare wrote:

rxvt and xterm.

Why?  Why not.

A terminal as a file manager ? That's pretty interesting smile

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#82 2007-08-26 14:45:51

I'm using a terminal for my daily file management too (bash in xterm in ratpoison), since it provides a quick and fast solution for everything (like the ability to loop through files specified with regexes, rename them, and anything you want, which can be a lifesaver after some practice big_smile ).

Also, I think there are a few ncurses based file managers, but I haven't tried anyone yet. hmm

#83 2007-08-26 21:01:35

mrbug

I've been using pcmanfm for a while. It's pretty nice and lightweight.. My only complaint is that it drops the desktop every now and then, forcing me to run "pcmanfm &" again in a terminal.

Thunar is nice, too.

I prefer the "tree on left, list on right" style of FM, as opposed to the "list on left, list on right" style.

dvdtube - download all uploads from a YouTube user and then optionally create a DVD.
(Regular version AUR link / SVN version AUR link)

#84 2007-08-26 21:12:00

Don-DiZzLe

pcmanfm is ok, but it doesnt have a proper trashcan feature.

#85 2007-08-26 21:54:54

Mardukas
Banned

Is it me, or noone has mentioned Dolphin? Why? it's great for me hmm

#86 2007-08-27 02:27:18

ralvez
Website

For me KDE is the answer.
It has all the basic features that one would expect of a file manager but it also has all the advanced features that an advanced user may need.
Just a few of the things I can do are:
-  manage al my SSH connections with it
-  have all the LAN drives mapped on it
-  have WebDAV connections to the sites of some of my clients a click away
-  have as symlink to ~/public_html so when I'm doing web development I have a fast way to access files and           
   test the sites I'm working on.
If I'm updating a site on a remote machine I can split the screen and see both the local and remote site at once  ... gee I could go on and on as to why I like it but I'll just say: to me it is be best file manager there is. cool

R

#87 2007-08-27 03:10:10

F

pomj wrote:

I use zsh and vifm http://vifm.sourceforge.net/index.html
If you like vi/m you should check it out.

/pomj

Wow, you win sir. Totally using this now.

#88 2007-08-27 07:39:29

sH

Don-DiZzLe wrote:

pcmanfm is ok, but it doesnt have a proper trashcan feature.

I also miss single-click and mouse-gestures from thunar. But thunar misses tabs sad

If you care about features I think theres nothing better as konqueror. But I dont need all it's features,
so I'm using thunar.

#89 2007-08-27 10:46:47

shining
Pacman Developer

ralvez wrote:

For me KDE is the answer.
It has all the basic features that one would expect of a file manager but it also has all the advanced features that an advanced user may need.
Just a few of the things I can do are:
-  manage al my SSH connections with it
-  have all the LAN drives mapped on it
-  have WebDAV connections to the sites of some of my clients a click away
-  have as symlink to ~/public_html so when I'm doing web development I have a fast way to access files and           
   test the sites I'm working on.
If I'm updating a site on a remote machine I can split the screen and see both the local and remote site at once  ... gee I could go on and on as to why I like it but I'll just say: to me it is be best file manager there is. cool

R

The network support of konq is pretty cool indeed. But you can also use things like sshfs, smbfs for mounting remote filesystem. That allows you to have a remote access in any file managers smile

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

Board footer