You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-05 23:01:43

dcbdbis

[SOLVED] Mate 1.6 and feh

Good Afternnon fellow Archers,

Just upgraded to Mate 1.6. It seems to have broken the way I was changing wallpapers periodically using feh. (via the ArchWiki article).

I validated that the new check boxes for "draw background" were off for both the old gnome settings as well as the new dconf settings.

I don't care how I change the wallpaper periodically, via cron job and feh...or some other means. I just want to change it periodically.

When I use feh at the cli, the wallpaper doesn't change, until I attempt to open an app. Any app. Then the "new" wallpaper appears briefly, then switches back to the original wallpaper Mate was using. Almost like the "draw background" checkbox is still checked, although it isn't.

Any ideas for a workaround?

Thanks!

Sincerly and respectfully,

Dave

Last edited by dcbdbis (2013-04-07 02:04:56)

#2 2013-04-07 02:06:56

dcbdbis

Re: [SOLVED] Mate 1.6 and feh

Here is the solution we worked out in the Mate forums:

This is the code I put in bash script. It works just perfectly:

I wrote a bash script in case the background chosen isn't to my liking, I can call the script manually from a terminal window.

#!/bin/bash

# The original Mate 1.4 version that worked
    #DISPLAY=:0.0 feh --bg-scale "$(find /home/dcbdbis/Backgrounds/|shuf -n1)"

# Mate 1.6 version
    gsettings set org.mate.background picture-filename "$(find /home/dcbdbis/Backgrounds/|shuf -n1)"

And then I ended up putting this in my local crontab file:

0 * * * * /usr/bin/gsettings set org.mate.background picture-filename "$(find /home/dcbdbis/Backgrounds/|shuf -n1)" 

This snippet when added using crontab -e changes the background at the top of the hour, every hour, with a shuffled filename of a given directory.

FYI folks.

Dave

Last edited by dcbdbis (2013-04-07 03:14:27)

Board footer