You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-27 05:44:04

glib

Need to convert avi files to work with new ipod.

So my ipod should be arriving soon, and its time too look at what I'm going to need to do to get some videos on my computer onto it. What I've got are avi's encoded with divx or xvid, and I want to get them into one of the supported file formats:

H.264 video up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

I assume mpeg is going to be easier, so my thought is transcode. I can't find anything dealing with this subject though, and the man page would take me years to sort through. Anyone use it often and know offhand? A lot of people are probably going to be wanting to know this sort of thing pretty soon.

#2 2005-10-27 09:48:56

glib

Re: Need to convert avi files to work with new ipod.

Did some googling, and it looks like something like:

transcode -i foo.avi -x divx,mp3 -V -y mpeg -F 1,1 -E 44100 -b 224 -o bar.mpg

is what I need. At least for the file-type considerations, not the resolution ones. Only problem is I run into this, which seems to still not have been fixed:
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch/200 … 02278.html

[transcode] warning : /usr/lib/transcode/export_mpeg.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[transcode] warning : (dl_loader.c) loading "/usr/lib/transcode/export_mpeg.so" failed
[transcode] warning : (encoder.c) loading audio export module failed
[transcode] warning : failed to init export modules
[transcode] critical: plug-in initialization failed

#3 2005-10-27 11:56:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'm more-or-less a beginner with transcode myself, but are you sure mpeg is the right export option for you? The man page says mpeg can

encode generic mpeg1, VCD, SVCD, MPEG2 and DVD type video

i.e. no specific mention of MPEG4, whereas the xvid2/3/4 options

Encode MPEG4 video using the library available from xvid.org.

It's very possible, of course, that I'm on the wrong track altogether here.

#4 2005-10-27 19:08:33

glib

I noticed the same thing. I'm not sure anymore, I think I'm just going to wait until my ipod gets here, then give it a go.

XVid says it encodes mpeg4, but you need the xvid codec to play it... I don't know how that will work. More info needed I guess.

Board footer