You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-28 23:14:38

mforce

Jigdo for Arch ?

I need a good Linux distro for an older PC and because it would be mad to install Gentoo on it I thought about the closest thing to it , Arch . But I do have a serious problem though . I've got no internet access where that computer is now . What I would do is use Debian's jigdo to write about 3 of the CDs with Sarge and use those as the have pretty new packages . Only one problem , I don't want Debian , I want Arch . So I was thinking , why can't Arch implement Jigdo and , put some packages together and offer some images for download as either a set of CDs or 1-2 DVDs ? Would be nice to have 1-2 DVDs and be able to install the latest packages on a PC without having to dowload them . By the way does packman know to get packages from CDs like apt does ?

#2 2005-10-29 00:24:25

Cam
Website

Re: Jigdo for Arch ?

pacman doesn't know to get packages from a CD by default but if you point it to a psuedo-repository that was on a CD then yeah, it'd work fine. As for jigdo, why don't you just download the packages yourself? The Arch devs are pretty busy these days working on the next release but you could just as easily use rsync or even plain ol' FTP to grab all the packages from current, extra, unstable and community and chuck them on a DVD yourself. You could write a script to grab the files and put them in an ISO ready to burn and post it in the User Contributions forums, that'd be a cool thing to do  smile

#3 2005-10-30 00:50:02

sash

I need a good Linux distro for an older PC

i686 or above?

#4 2005-10-30 07:34:50

High|ander
Website

For older then i686 i rekommend *bsd.

When death smiles at you, all you can do is smile back!
Blog

#5 2005-10-31 01:20:46

mforce

It's a Celeron @ 333 so no worries about that , it's just that I would never finish compiling those Gentoo ebuild  smile .
  I guess I'll try doing something about what I said . I'll see what I cand come up with and keep you posted . Don't expect something in the too near future but I'll certainly look into it .

Board footer