You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-29 19:29:50

Spitbyte

K3B: DVD burning issues post version 0.11.24, please help?

Hi Fellow archies!

Firstly, a quick thankyou to those involved with this great little distro. I really enjoy using it and its lean and mean just the way i like it. My compliments to the chefs wink

Unfortunately there's a fly in the soup and i'm gonna need a little nudge in the right direction to fish it out:

A while back i did a pacman -Syu which listed some nice new upgrades, one of which was the newest K3b. I was currently using ver 0.11.24 quite happily with no problems at all. I allowed this upgrade , amongst others, and all seemed to go as planned.

However, on using k3b ver 0.12.x i found that i could no longer burn a DVD disc. I checked all my permissions and everything seemed in order, my drive was still identified ok, and i could erase a DVD, just could not burn any files to it. I also tried to burn a DVD in 2 stages; make an iso, then burn, but this failed at the burning.

Here's the error i've been getting, its a rather curious one:

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.12.5

KDE Version: 3.4.3
QT Version:  3.3.5
Kernel:      2.6.13-ARCH
Devices
-----------------------
_NEC DVD_RW ND-2510A 2.15 (/dev/hdb, ) at /mnt/burner [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW; DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R; DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96R; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite]

JLMS XJ-HD166S DS1A (/dev/hda, ) at /mnt/dvd [CD-ROM; DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM] [None]
K3b
-----------------------
Size of filesystem calculated: 15034

Used versions
-----------------------
mkisofs: 2.1
growisofs: 5.21

growisofs
-----------------------
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/hdb obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/hdb: "Current Write Speed" is 2.0x1385KBps.
:-! "COMMAND SEQUENCE ERROR"@LBA=0h. Is media being read?
:-! the LUN appears to be stuck at 0h, retrying in 5 secs...
         0/30789632 ( 0.0%) @0x, remaining ??:??

growisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdb=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:15034 -dvd-compat -speed=2 -overburn 

mkisofs
-----------------------

mkisofs command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid K3b data project -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2005 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher  -preparer  -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-root/k3brcChGa.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bsal50a.tmp -joliet -hide-joliet-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bfBOZRb.tmp -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-root/k3bIHlEZa.tmp 

It basically loops on this:

.. until you cancel the burn. K3b does not freeze, it's just as if it can't get access to the DVD writer.

After playing around for a while, i needed to get something sorted, so out of desperation i took a bash at compiling an old version of k3b using the abs system. I chose 0.11.24 as it was what i was using before my troubles began. It took me a few tries , but in the end i had my binary and installed it with a swift pacman -A. Low and behold, it works!

So, for the last few months i've had k3b in my ignorepkg list, until recently, having not done a system upgrade for a while i decided to try the newest version of k3b.

After the upgrade tried burning a DVD, guess what: same problem.

The output above is from this most recent version (but it was definately the same errors i was getting on previous 0.12.x versions). Luckily , i still had the 0.11.24 binary from my abs endeavours, and after reinstalling, thankfully, i'm able to burn DVD's once again.

In all cases, DVD formatting and general CD burning facilities are not affected, it's solely the DVD portion of k3b that fails.

From this experience i'm assuming its a bug in k3b, but i see no-one else on this forum, or the internet in general with the same symptoms. Hence, why i'm posting here in the hope that others, so much more experienced than myself, can help me address this issue.

Of course, i will submit a bug at k3b if everyone here thinks it is such, but i didn't want to wild goose them before checking here, just incase its something stoopid i'm doing big_smile

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated and if further information is required, please feel free to request it, (with instructions on how to do so), and i shall provide it

Well, thats about it for now. Thanks for listening and i will definately post back to confirm a solution if i get one, so that others who encounter the same problem in the future can find the answer.

Spitbyte out ...
PS: Nice to finally post at the arch forums for a change, instead of lurking tongue

#2 2005-11-06 08:22:28

tarix

Re: K3B: DVD burning issues post version 0.11.24, please help?

Hmm...it seems to be the same problem with me. K3B version is 0.12.6-1.

If you can't scratch it - don't buy it!

#3 2005-11-06 08:40:18

tarix

Ok, try the recent  k3b (0.12.7-1). This one solves the problem  smile

If you can't scratch it - don't buy it!

#4 2005-11-13 22:31:02

Thereidos
Website

tarix wrote:

Ok, try the recent  k3b (0.12.7-1). This one solves the problem  smile

I'm affraid it doesn't. I have upgraded my system earlier today and I've just found the same problem as Spitbyte had. Though I don't know which version I was using before (I haven't upgraded for about two months or so) this haven't occured then. Now it's 0.12.7-1.

I think it might be something with growisofs rather than with k3b - thus making it a dvd+rw-tools issue. My version is 5.21.4.10.8-4.

It's human? He's got a face like a join-the-dots puzzle!

Board footer