You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-21 22:49:39

faxmanloveswaffles

Need help with Steam! Not launching.

I decided, yesterday, to dual boot Linux Mint 14 with Arch since I haven't played with Arch in a while. I have my Mac beside me and the desktop I'm working on in front of me with Google ready for action. Anyways, I got Arch setup with KDE (easiest Desktop I've ever set up on Arch without much configuration), I love KDE so you know I enabled the desktop effects blah blah. Well, my plan was to install all the multilibs and junk for steam, and I would copy my SteamApps folder from my Linux Mint partition so I would not have to redownload everything again. Well I installed all I knew were dependencies and tried to open Steam. Well, nothing happened so I started up the ol' terminal and typed

pkill steam

then I typed

steam

this is a screenshot of what happened.
http://imageshack.us/a/img29/7818/snapshot2steam.png
then I did CTRL+C to stop it since nothing seemed to appear.
So I did a little Googling to no avail, but I also tried:

STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam

and I got this:
http://imageshack.us/a/img825/3551/snapshot4steam.png

uname -a:

Linux nathan-archlinux 3.8.8-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 17 10:57:28 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

let me know if you need any logs and stuff thanks

EDIT:
Also, how do I make Dolphin stop asking for my password to mount drives?
Moderator edit:  Changed img tags to url tags -ewaller

EDIT:
I figured out why it asks for password when mounting internal drives. I also know that you can't do the polkit rules fix anymore because udisk2 doesn't allow it.

Last edited by faxmanloveswaffles (2013-04-30 01:49:11)

#2 2013-04-21 23:37:46

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Need help with Steam! Not launching.

Have you joined a Steam beta? libsdl2.* is not current, and is in no way deemed to be stable: http://www.libsdl.org/hg.php

It should not be required for day-to-day usage of Steam.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2013-04-22 01:17:25

faxmanloveswaffles

WorMzy wrote:

Have you joined a Steam beta? libsdl2.* is not current, and is in no way deemed to be stable: http://www.libsdl.org/hg.php

It should not be required for day-to-day usage of Steam.

I can't launch steam at all. It installed successfully but will not open. On Linux mint, it's flawless.

Edit:
I figured that the libsdl wasn't needed but I tried starting it up with that command just to see if it would do anything.

Edit2:
When I press the steam icon, the little thing bounces next to my mouse for a second the dissappears.  You can see what happens when I type steam in terminal from the picture.

Last edited by faxmanloveswaffles (2013-04-22 01:25:39)

#4 2013-04-22 02:22:02

faxmanloveswaffles

is this supposed to be in multimedia gaming section?

#5 2013-04-22 14:29:03

fr0z3d

Did you copy just the steamapps folder or you copied the whole .steam folder?

#6 2013-04-22 16:50:00

0X1A

faxmanloveswaffles wrote:

You have to include the drive in your fstab. If it's a NTFS drive you'll need ntfs-3g.

#7 2013-04-22 20:21:26

faxmanloveswaffles

0X1A wrote:

You have to include the drive in your fstab. If it's a NTFS drive you'll need ntfs-3g.

I think you are confused. I dual booted Linux Mint and Arch. Steam works perfectly on Linux Mint (Ubuntu), but on Arch Linux, Steam will not open. The only GUI from Steam I've gotten was when it downloaded the files. After that, nothing appears and if you look at the first photo, that's the stuff that pops up in terminal when I type

steam

My plan was to "copy" the SteamApps folder from the Linux Mint /home partition; I wasn't going to symlink. I just can't get Steam to open at all. The only "visual" I can see is the stuff in the terminal showing a bunch of stuff that doesn't tell me much. Steam is really the only reason I haven't switched to Arch. I would LOVE to go from Linux Mint to Arch, but Steam not working is the only thing holding me back.

Simplified:
Type steam in terminal>Jibber-jabber. (first photo)
Open steam from KDE menu>Bouncing icon>nothing

Help?

#8 2013-04-22 20:22:23

faxmanloveswaffles

fr0z3d wrote:

Did you copy just the steamapps folder or you copied the whole .steam folder?

I haven't copied anything since Steam is not even "launching."

EDIT:
I would only copy SteamApps since I did that when I switched from Windows to Linux, etc.

EDIT2:
Windows does not exist on any of my computers. The only other OS I have is OS X on the MacBook Pro.

Last edited by faxmanloveswaffles (2013-04-22 20:23:25)

#9 2013-04-22 23:44:13

faxmanloveswaffles

0X1A wrote:

I can't edit a config file to make it stop asking for my root password? I think I've done it before, but I can't remember how.

#10 2013-04-23 02:41:56

ewaller
Administrator

Moved, on request of OP. 

faxmanloveswaffles, watch your images sizes.  I converted your first post to a link.  You might want to build a click through thumbnail.
Please see our policy

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#11 2013-04-23 04:03:36

dag

I have been using steam with no issues since the start. there have been some issues but updates with steam itself for linux has fixed a lot of things. I have had no issues with the client itself. On a 64 bit system install 32 bit sound and grafix; uncomment multilibs!

I have never needed to deal with password issues or other wise there has been no issue with ownership.

this has been my own experience so I would say more info would be needed.

--------------------------------------
alcoves wonder creates the wonder unto the ages; never lose that.

#12 2013-04-24 05:32:06

0X1A

Steam never asks for super user permission to start. Are you including the drive that your steamapps folder is in in your fstab for Arch? Are you trying to share a directory for your games for both Arch and Mint?

If you're trying to share the same directory you're going to have to include that drive in your fstab like I said, otherwise you'll have to mount it every time you want to access it, which requires root permission. One thing to probably avoid is copying or sharing the Steam config folder between both Arch and Mint.

#13 2013-04-24 22:37:38

faxmanloveswaffles

0X1A wrote:

Steam never asks for super user permission to start. Are you including the drive that your steamapps folder is in in your fstab for Arch? Are you trying to share a directory for your games for both Arch and Mint?

If you're trying to share the same directory you're going to have to include that drive in your fstab like I said, otherwise you'll have to mount it every time you want to access it, which requires root permission. One thing to probably avoid is copying or sharing the Steam config folder between both Arch and Mint.

Sorry for the confusion, that question doesn't have anything to do with steam. I need to create a separate thread in another category for it. I was asking why Dolphin wouldn't mount drives without my password.

#14 2013-04-25 08:07:52

0X1A

0X1A wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, that question doesn't have anything to do with steam. I need to create a separate thread in another category for it. I was asking why Dolphin wouldn't mount drives without my password.

And the answer is still the same. You need to include your drive in your fstab.

#15 2013-04-25 21:56:50

faxmanloveswaffles

0X1A wrote:
0X1A wrote:

what happened to editing a config file like in the past to make it stop doing that?

#16 2013-04-25 23:46:47

0X1A

0X1A wrote:

what happened to editing a config file like in the past to make it stop doing that?

What you're trying to do is automatically mount a drive on boot so that Dolphin does not ask for root permission for you to access that drive. To do that you have to include the drive in your fstab. I don't know of a config file that would bypass Dolphin asking for root to access a drive that has not been mounted, and even if it existed you'd be better off just including the drive in your fstab.

To do so you have to create a directory that your drive would mount to and then write that drive to mount to that directory with the right read and right permissions. This is all documented in the ArchWiki here. Hope that helps c:

Last edited by 0X1A (2013-04-25 23:48:16)

#17 2013-04-29 20:08:21

faxmanloveswaffles

I still haven't gotten steam to launch. I don't know why. I guess I'll remove the Arch partition and reinstall it later, and I'll try again.

#18 2013-04-29 20:59:43

LyCC

Hi,
is your steam client up to date (i mean did you installed it from the official repo and is it up to date - i have once the same problem, back a long time ago).
For NTSF drive, edit your fstab and add something like:

# Windows partitions                                                                                                               
/dev/sda3       /media/drivename      ntfs-3g         defaults        0       0

where /dev/sda3 you change to your actual drive, and /media/drivename to where you wish to mount the drive, the rest you leave as it is. I hade the same problem with KDE, once a long time ago it worked to automount it without always asking the root password.
PS: make sure you have the ntfs-3g installed from pacman (or use Apper for a more confortable gui).

All the best and happy gaming on steam for linux!

#19 2013-04-29 21:22:37

faxmanloveswaffles

LyCC wrote:

Hi,
is your steam client up to date (i mean did you installed it from the official repo and is it up to date - i have once the same problem, back a long time ago).
For NTSF drive, edit your fstab and add something like:

# Windows partitions                                                                                                               
/dev/sda3       /media/drivename      ntfs-3g         defaults        0       0

where /dev/sda3 you change to your actual drive, and /media/drivename to where you wish to mount the drive, the rest you leave as it is. I hade the same problem with KDE, once a long time ago it worked to automount it without always asking the root password.
PS: make sure you have the ntfs-3g installed from pacman (or use Apper for a more confortable gui).

All the best and happy gaming on steam for linux!

It will launch and update if needed, but it doesn't launch. The updater is the only GUI of steam that actually launches. That's when I install steam or an update is released. Other than that, no Steam...

#20 2013-04-29 21:48:37

LyCC

Did you tried to remove the steam package, delete the whole steam folder and then reinstall? (maybe something got corrupted in it). Just to see if it starts, and only after copy the steamapps into it.

Last edited by LyCC (2013-04-29 21:53:16)

#21 2013-04-29 23:03:10

faxmanloveswaffles

LyCC wrote:

Did you tried to remove the steam package, delete the whole steam folder and then reinstall? (maybe something got corrupted in it). Just to see if it starts, and only after copy the steamapps into it.

Yep, 3 times. I've tried many different multilib packages. Btw, I have nVidia Gefore GT220 graphics. Maybe that'll help.

#22 2013-04-29 23:21:31

LyCC

LyCC wrote:

Yep, 3 times. I've tried many different multilib packages. Btw, I have nVidia Gefore GT220 graphics. Maybe that'll help.

ok, than what i can think of ... check and see if you have installed:
sdl and lib32-sdl (i have these installed http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-2175-181.html ), beside this, i have no other ideas, we are running the same client version from what i can see from your image, i too have/had * (steam)/version(1364601080_client), so it should run and I don't think the video card has anything to do with this issue.
* just now when i checked the version, i got an update from 1364601080 to 1366922897 (but i have beta participation on).

Last edited by LyCC (2013-04-29 23:21:55)

#23 2013-04-30 01:41:49

faxmanloveswaffles

LyCC wrote:
LyCC wrote:

sdl and lib32-sdl (i have these installed http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-2175-181.html ), beside this, i have no other ideas, we are running the same client version from what i can see from your image, i too have/had * (steam)/version(1364601080_client), so it should run and I don't think the video card has anything to do with this issue.
* just now when i checked the version, i got an update from 1364601080 to 1366922897 (but i have beta participation on).

I think im in beta participation too. The photo is just out of date. I'll try the sdl stuff when I get home. Thanks guys for the help so far.

#24 2013-04-30 22:58:21

faxmanloveswaffles

LyCC wrote:
LyCC wrote:

well, I installed everything in that picture.. no go sad it just gets stuck on:

[nathan@nathan-archlinux ~]$ steam
Running Steam on arch  64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1366403468_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1366403468_client)
unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 1966 with name 0eBlobRegistryMutex_1CED932176F86BC561CBF2EE3F57DDAF
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 1966 with name 0eBlobRegistrySignal_1CED932176F86BC561CBF2EE3F57DDAF
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 1966 with name 0emSteamEngineInstance
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 1966 with name 0eSteamEngineLock

#25 2013-05-01 05:07:18

LyCC

hm, nothing else in the logs? check the /var/log/ maybe writes something helpfull somewhere ... sorry mate, i'm out of ideas sad

Board footer