You are not logged in.

#76 2013-04-25 15:17:41

Chowchilla

Re: Gnome 3.8 not working (upgrade from 3.6)

Chowchilla wrote:

As for removing packages from 3.6 that are now deprecated, I'm not sure - someone mentioned gnome-screensaver is one and I believe gnome-panel is also, it would be nice if we could confirm them all.

Okay I did a little checking and it the following can be removed after upgrading to 3.8:

gnome-panel
gnome-screensaver
metacity
notification-daemon
polkit-gnome

No porblems after removing for me. Bear in mind that they're required for gnome-flashback-session (the "new" classic/fallback/2d mode). Though you should only have that if you installed it explicitly, it isn't part of the gnome/gnome-extra groups.

Oh, and the user-themes extensions seems to be updated today, see here. The theme I was using for 3.6 (Faience) hasn't been though, so I switched to the very elegant Zukitwo which is up to date.

#77 2013-04-25 17:41:55

Spider.007

elkoraco wrote:

Removing gnome-screensaver fixes the issue. Somebody should probably put this up for everybody to see, as it is by far the most likely solution to the problem.

Well its not universal, I still have gnome-screensaver installed but had to add the AccelMethod=sna and clear /var/lib/gdm too to stop my laptop from completely freezing when starting gdm

#78 2013-04-25 17:54:48

slevin123

The login screen appears normally in my laptop... when I enter my password then it appears a message that something has happenned

if I press ctrl + alt + f2 and then do:
- systemctl stop gdm
- pacman -R gdm

after remove I get :
   error: command failed

and if I do
   sudo pacman -S gdm

I get a message:
   "directory permissions differ on /var/log/gdm"
   filesystem: 771 package: 1770.

I've tried with sna and appending some commands at the beginning of kernel boot but nothing works.

What I haven't tried yet is installing Slim... but I haven't use that before so maybe I'm going to break things.

Hope someone can help

#79 2013-04-25 18:48:12

jrussell

slevin123 wrote:

The login screen appears normally in my laptop... when I enter my password then it appears a message that something has happenned

- systemctl stop gdm
- pacman -R gdm

after remove I get :

and if I do
   sudo pacman -S gdm

I get a message:

I've tried with sna and appending some commands at the beginning of kernel boot but nothing works.

What I haven't tried yet is installing Slim... but I haven't use that before so maybe I'm going to break things.

Hope someone can help

Perhaps give this a try, read the whole post before trying.
Be carefull with the -c option in

pacman -Rnsc gnome gnome-extra

look here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … g_packages

systemctl disable gdm.service
systemctl disable graphical.target
systemctl enable multi-user.target
--reboot--
rm -R /var/lib/gdm .gnome2 .cache .config/gnome-session .config/autostart .config/dconf .config/gconf .config/gtk-3.0 .config/gtk-2.0 .config/nautilus .config/user-dirs.dirs .config/tracker .local/share/gnome-shell .local/share/gnome-settings-daemon
--reboot--
pacman -S gnome
systemctl enable gdm.service
systemctl disable multi-user.target
systemctl enable graphical.target
--reboot--

I did see

when removing gdm

and

directory permissions differ on /var/log/gdm

when insatlling gdm

I myself actually deleted the entire contents of .config and .local/share just to reset all my settings.
The above my have excessive reboots/commands but I have had no problems other than this:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=161961

I have found this 3.8 release much buggier than previous gnome updates, I have many small issues/bugs with gnome, there are a large amount of errors in my journal relating to gnome and gdm, journal is nice and clean with lxdm and xfce4.

elkoraco wrote:

Removing gnome-screensaver fixes the issue. Somebody should probably put this up for everybody to see, as it is by far the most likely solution to the problem.

sorted that out for me.

Last edited by jrussell (2013-04-25 18:55:37)

bitcoin: 1G62YGRFkMDwhGr5T5YGovfsxLx44eZo7U

#80 2013-04-25 20:22:24

slevin123

jrussell wrote:
slevin123 wrote:

- systemctl stop gdm
- pacman -R gdm

after remove I get :

and if I do
   sudo pacman -S gdm

I get a message:

Hope someone can help

--reboot--
rm -R /var/lib/gdm .gnome2 .cache .config/gnome-session .config/autostart .config/dconf .config/gconf .config/gtk-3.0 .config/gtk-2.0 .config/nautilus .config/user-dirs.dirs .config/tracker .local/share/gnome-shell .local/share/gnome-settings-daemon
--reboot--
pacman -S gnome
--reboot--

I did see

when removing gdm

and

when insatlling gdm

I myself actually deleted the entire contents of .config and .local/share just to reset all my settings.
The above my have excessive reboots/commands but I have had no problems other than this:

I have found this 3.8 release much buggier than previous gnome updates, I have many small issues/bugs with gnome, there are a large amount of errors in my journal relating to gnome and gdm, journal is nice and clean with lxdm and xfce4.

Thanks for your reply. I've done that and its working now. I didnt know that fallback mode was deleted on gnome 3.8. I was using that so that could've been the problem.
The new "fallback mode" is hurting my eyes wink ... seems that I have to change to something else.

Thanks again for your response, now I can make a full backup

#81 2013-04-25 20:27:49

jrussell

slevin123 wrote:
jrussell wrote:
slevin123 wrote:

- systemctl stop gdm
- pacman -R gdm

after remove I get :

and if I do
   sudo pacman -S gdm

I get a message:

Hope someone can help

--reboot--
--reboot--
pacman -S gnome
--reboot--

I did see

when removing gdm

and

when insatlling gdm

Thanks for your reply. I've done that and its working now. I didnt know that fallback mode was deleted on gnome 3.8. I was using that so that could've been the problem.
The new "fallback mode" is hurting my eyes wink ... seems that I have to change to something else.

Thanks again for your response, now I can make a full backup

Glad it works smile I have switched to xfce, its really nice with docky, so much more responsive than gnome. Im sick of gnome and its crap, but I love the shell and the idea of gnome sad such a pity its so terrible

bitcoin: 1G62YGRFkMDwhGr5T5YGovfsxLx44eZo7U

#82 2013-04-26 06:00:26

LinuxCoyote

Oh man, this is a giant mess.  I have literally tried everything available on the forums with my T430.  I've tried:
- enabling SNA
- disabling rc6
- uninstall all gnome packages, and re-install them
- downgrading gnome packages
- using slim
- using gdm-git
- using the linux-lts kernel
Right now, I'm using LXDE because absolutely nothing is working, but I find it crippling to my productivity.  Nothing in the logs are really giving any hints either, and it is extremely frustrating.

Thinkpad T430 Core i5 3320M IntelHD 4000
Samsung Q430-11 Core i5 450M Nvidia 310M
Raspberry Pi Model B (256M)

#83 2013-04-26 07:36:52

jiangkero

I  had update gnome3.8 from the gnome3.6,and the gdm not working now.I can't enter the  enviroment

#84 2013-04-26 08:24:46

ronizzel

Me too. I am also owner of Intel Graphics. The cursor appears and is moveable, but apart from the existing virtual console, the screen stays black for minutes after entering the command "gdm".

Once, directly after upgrading I had gnome 3.8 running (by then I had to remove gnome-multimedia or so), but not anymore after I rebooted. It is a mess. No hint from this thread changes the situation. There are even no error messages in the gdm logs. Using lightdm and xfce now...

Lightdm + Gnome does not work as well.

Last edited by ronizzel (2013-04-26 08:27:34)

#85 2013-04-26 09:55:36

jiewmeng

I managed to get GNOME 3.8 working in a Virtual Machine (Virtual Box). And reinstalling the whole of Arch Linux works too... but after awhile, I find I cannot login to GNOME 3.8 ... GDM works but I get a blank screen with cursor (can move) after login. systemctl status gdm seem to say something about failed to give slave programs access to something. I also tried SLIM and LightDM similar problems, just different messages, something about password/pam

Computer Science Student, Web Developer

#86 2013-04-26 11:26:46

mandog

I don't know what you guys have done Gnome3.8 installed flawlessly for me. I disable GDM as it started lagging in gnome 3.2, I have a 7 year old install I keep the core vanilla do what it says on the front page and that is it. 7 years not much has gone wrong.

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#87 2013-04-26 12:32:35

Thomas_Do

mandog wrote:

I don't know what you guys have done Gnome3.8 installed flawlessly for me. I disable GDM as it started lagging in gnome 3.2, I have a 7 year old install I keep the core vanilla do what it says on the front page and that is it. 7 years not much has gone wrong.

Good for you, does not help the others using GDM.

Last edited by Thomas_Do (2013-04-27 13:26:09)

#88 2013-04-27 02:28:56

jiewmeng

@Thomas, how is it "good for me"? Its not working is it? It worked after a fresh install of Arch but fails soon after ...

Computer Science Student, Web Developer

#89 2013-04-27 03:12:53

sethradio
Website

mandog wrote:

I aspire to be like you.

And lo, it came to pass, that the neophyte encountered the Beplattered One and humbly posed the question, "Oh great master, is it a sin to use vi?" And St. IGNUcius didst thus reply unto him, "No, my young hacker friend, it is not a sin. It is a penance."

#90 2013-04-27 10:03:00

therp

Here are my observations so far. They might be noise and completely irrelevant as a I use a fairly niece WM, but I also experience unexplained GTK app hanging and my problems like yours are quite recent.

• GDM+Gnome shell works fine.

• If I switch to xmonad from a session spawned by GDM bad things happen. That applies for both, replacing the gnome-shell via xmonad --replace, or going directly to xmonad via GDM doing xsession. Symptoms are that evince fails to show a PDF and being extremely lagging (that's my quick test case). Other symptoms are frozen wallpaper.

• If I run xmonad via Slim also via xsession the world is fine.

I went ahead and diffed the unix environment and X root window properties and found that I cure my evince problems removing the _NET_SUPPORTED atom.

It turns out that GDM sets _NET_SUPPORTED and advertises a lot of functionality to its gdm-slave program. Those settings persist and spill over into the user session. Here is what I get from xprop -root:

_NET_SUPPORTED(ATOM) = _NET_WM_NAME, _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW, _NET_WM_STATE, _NET_WM_STATE_SHADED, _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ, _NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT, _NET_WM_DESKTOP, _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS, _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_TOOLBAR, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MENU, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_UTILITY, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DIALOG, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DROPDOWN_MENU, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_POPUP_MENU, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_TOOLTIP, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NOTIFICATION, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_COMBO, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DND, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL, _NET_WM_STATE_MODAL, _NET_CLIENT_LIST, _NET_CLIENT_LIST_STACKING, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER, _NET_WM_ICON_NAME, _NET_WM_ICON, _NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY, _NET_WM_MOVERESIZE, _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW, _NET_WM_STRUT, _NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN, _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN, _NET_WM_PING, _NET_WM_PID, _NET_WORKAREA, _NET_SHOWING_DESKTOP, _NET_DESKTOP_LAYOUT, _NET_DESKTOP_NAMES, _NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS, _NET_WM_ACTION_MOVE, _NET_WM_ACTION_RESIZE, _NET_WM_ACTION_SHADE, _NET_WM_ACTION_STICK, _NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_HORZ, _NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_VERT, _NET_WM_ACTION_CHANGE_DESKTOP, _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE, _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE, _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW, _NET_STARTUP_ID, _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL, _NET_WM_ACTION_FULLSCREEN, _NET_WM_ACTION_MINIMIZE, _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS, _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS, _NET_WM_USER_TIME, _NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION, _NET_MOVERESIZE_WINDOW, _NET_DESKTOP_GEOMETRY, _NET_DESKTOP_VIEWPORT, _NET_WM_USER_TIME_WINDOW, _NET_WM_ACTION_ABOVE, _NET_WM_ACTION_BELOW, _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY, _NET_WM_FULLSCREEN_MONITORS, _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED, _NET_WM_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR, _NET_WM_OPAQUE_REGION, _NET_WM_FRAME_DRAWN, _NET_WM_FRAME_TIMINGS

That's like the kitchen sink.

xmonad doesn't support those window manager capabilities, and is too shy to touch those for some reason if it found that property set on startup.

My problems went away by clearing those overly optimistic flags in /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default. I added

/usr/bin/xprop -root -remove _NET_SUPPORTED

at the end of it.

If your window manager is more capable than mine, this might not affect you at all. This might not even be relevant to the problem as a whole.

#91 2013-04-27 13:27:53

Thomas_Do

jiewmeng wrote:

@Thomas, how is it "good for me"? Its not working is it? It worked after a fresh install of Arch but fails soon after ...

Really sorry! I made an error when quoting. My comment was for mandog. Corrected the original post.

#92 2013-04-28 18:58:03

Lazze

I finally got mine working, this is what I did if anyone is interested:

It started out with the system freezing on boot, I solved this by starting into fallback mode, remount my root drive and added Option "AccelMethod" "sna" to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf as mentioned by wclpat on page 1 (thanks btw).
Then I got to GDM but Gnome crashed with the sad face immediately after login, logging in as root user worked though.
I uninstalled all the old gnome packages (version 3.6.*), but no success.
Then I fiddled around with the ~/.config/dconf settings, first I renamed it and tried to login in, which worked. However my wallpaper and settings etc where of course missing and I was unable to set a new wallpaper etc.
Then I went back to the terminal and moved back the dconf folder and set permission 777 and then it started to work (I know 777 isn't a very safe permission, I will change it later).

Thanks for all the help in this thread, it helped my a long way, good luck!

#93 2013-04-28 23:04:56

techbolt
Website

Worked for me in first go...followed this thread..picked up bits and bobs from several contributors...consolidated commands below:

sudo pacman -Sy libsoup
sudo pacman -Rs gnome-games-extra-data gnome-games
sudo pacman -Su
sudo pacman -Sy gnome-games
sudo pacman -S gnome gnome-extra --needed

#94 2013-04-28 23:04:58

gbc921
Website

I also got it working too. (Gnome 3.8)

I just did an update today and started gnome. Remembering that I've used a new user account (no old files) and removed the var/lib/gdm as jrussell said.

What I exactly did:

1. Updated system - last update was Friday 26-Apr

• Probably gdb, linux and specially glib2 helped it out

2. Switched libdrm-git to extra/libdrm

3. Installed lib32-drm from multilib

4. Rebooted

5. Started gdm by hand

systemctl start gdm

(on graphical.target)

Notes.:

• I'm using the "AccelMethod "sna"" in the 20-intel.conf (though it seems not to make any difference)

• Not using the rc6=0 fix in kernel line

• gnome-extras group is not installed

Now I will try to recompile all AUR packages (just to make sure everything is on place), put Cinnamon to work again, install all extra pkgs and restore my old home files.

Thanks for all the help. I'll repost when I have some news.

======== Update ========

I've reinstalled all the AUR packages, removed gnome, gnome-shell and gdm at all as previous post stated (-Rsnc) and installed lightdm with Cinnamon.
However, without removing the gnome related files in home, the "Oh no! Something went wrong" appeared after login.

By the way, the default brightness applet on Cinnamon (not tested the AUR though), whether added to the panel shows the "Oh no!" error. At least for extra/Cinnamon 1.7.4.3

Sincerely,

Last edited by gbc921 (2013-04-29 23:01:41)

- "Nothing is impossible, impossible just takes longer"
- My Arch Linux Mirror located in São Paulo, Brazil: http://archmirror.duckdns.org:9000/

#95 2013-04-28 23:13:48

mandog

Thomas_Do wrote:
mandog wrote:

Good for you, does not help the others using GDM.

Another poster asked if anybody has got gnome 3.8 working I replied I have is that a problem if so I must apologise.

Gnome has always worked for me, GDM has never always been slow. I use lxdm not pretty but works.

Last edited by mandog (2013-04-28 23:14:57)

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#96 2013-04-29 04:24:01

lijian

I have the same problem.

I use startx and it looks this way works for me:
1. modify .xinirc to start another wm(I use enlightment);
2. logout from that wm;
3. modify .xinirc back to start gnome
4. now gnome works

Maybe gnome 3.8 can't init some runtime config well?

#97 2013-04-29 09:07:17

Darkzom

Hi,

Just my 5 cents to confirm what worked for me. Updated to Gnome 3.8 from 3.6 and had GPU errors listed in logs, not able to boot to gnome, everything freezed if I did not switch to other TTY quickly.

Using GDM the only thing I needed was to set SNA acceleration for Intel graphics card as described in Wiki and others have posted here by creating the conf file for xorg.

Thanks to all for your help, it was also driving me nuts.

Regards,

#98 2013-04-29 15:57:52

lmello

Chowchilla wrote:
Chowchilla wrote:

As for removing packages from 3.6 that are now deprecated, I'm not sure - someone mentioned gnome-screensaver is one and I believe gnome-panel is also, it would be nice if we could confirm them all.

Okay I did a little checking and it the following can be removed after upgrading to 3.8:

gnome-panel
gnome-screensaver
metacity
notification-daemon
polkit-gnome

No porblems after removing for me. Bear in mind that they're required for gnome-flashback-session (the "new" classic/fallback/2d mode). Though you should only have that if you installed it explicitly, it isn't part of the gnome/gnome-extra groups.

Oh, and the user-themes extensions seems to be updated today, see here. The theme I was using for 3.6 (Faience) hasn't been though, so I switched to the very elegant Zukitwo which is up to date.

Are these all the obsolete packages from 3.6?

Fundamental Axiom of the Universe (aka Murphy's Law): Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.
First Digital Deduction: Nothing obeys Murphy's Law so well as computers.
Second Digital Deduction: Everything go wrong at least once.
Third Digital Deduction: Things go wrong even when there's absolutely no possibility of anything go wrong.

#99 2013-04-30 13:03:49

Chowchilla

Were you to install gnome 3.8 fresh they would not be installed.

But they are technically not obsolete, and still exist because they are required by gnome-flashback-session. But unlike the old fallback/classic mode it is separate from the main gnome/gnome-extra group.

Bottom line: If you're only using standard gnome (>=3.8), remove them.

Last edited by Chowchilla (2013-04-30 13:06:25)

#100 2013-05-02 11:59:52

nlabrad

Samsung NP300, ,Intel 2330M, HD3000.
Just enabling SNA worked for me with rc6 enabled.
Disabling rc6 did nothing.
Reinstalling gdm did nothing.
I did not reinstall gnome-extra as im a cinnamon user and i dont need all those packages.
The only thing that made it start was the sna option, i created the 20-intel.conf file and copied the sna configuration in it and it started, and smoother than before too.

Board footer