You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-25 23:58:54

OlafLostViking

Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T with Linux?

Hi,

did anybody try out the above mentioned PC with Arch (or any other distribution)? Is everything supported out of the box (digitizer, docking, ...)?

Basically I am searching for a Tablet/Keyboard-dock combination with good performance to replace my PDA/Tablet/Notebook(/and perhaps even PC). This Samsung seems to be the first one being able to fulfill all needs (small, long battery life, decent CPU, enough RAM/SSD, high resolution, touchscreen with Wacom digitizer, Intel GPU). The only missing things seems to be a trackpointer (the knob in the middle of f.ex. DELL keyboards ;-) ) and a full SD card slot. But I won't be picky for now...

Thank you
M

#2 2013-04-26 03:55:33

hadrons123

Re: Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T with Linux?

1.I have read that samsung has made a low power USB in this device so its difficult to boot through USB.
2.But if you are hackish, you can remove the SSD and  install any OS(linux) in another computer then plug your SSD back in to the ATIV.
3.Try Ubuntu wubi in the windows 8.

Do all these, you are certain to loose the warranty and your windows installation. There is a very good chance that samsung might have shipped some OEM proprietary components for enhanced touch functionality which are unsupported in the linux kernel.
Finally, is this device worth all the pain?
remotely related thread, but it might be useful for you
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung … 00t-5.html

Last edited by hadrons123 (2013-04-26 03:56:36)

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#3 2013-04-26 07:23:19

OlafLostViking

Re: Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T with Linux?

Thanks for answering - even though they are talking about a 500 in the forum, I'm not willing to take such a risk. I agree with you that the device is not worth all the pain. That's why I was asking if everything works out-of-the-box. After your very helpful comment, I guess I will wait for another device fullfilling my "everything-in-one" wishes. Thank you again for this "warning" :-).

Board footer