You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-26 10:21:50

replabrobin

proper way to exit openbox

Hi,

I'm running latest Arch with native systemd + slim +openbox.

I think that a recent change has changed the way that slim + openbox is working.

slim.service is working and I can log in
openbox is started via .xinitrc using exec openbox-session

in a terminal I see that

$ loginctl --no-pager show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID | grep Active
Active=yes

so session management with systemd-logind appears to be working. However, I can only logout once from openbox using openbox --exit.

The first time I do this slim reappears and I can log back in. The second time  logout gets bumped to the console; I can restart slim.service to get back in.

How should I be starting openbox ie do I need ck-launch-session / dbus-launch any longer?
How should I be exiting openbox? Is openbox --exit the right way?

Is this the same issue as https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151304

#2 2013-04-26 15:31:41

berbae

Re: proper way to exit openbox

Hi.
With systemd-logind as session manager, you should not use console kit and the 'ck-launch-session' which comes with it.
If you created your ~/.xinitrc from the '/etc/skel/.xinitrc' template and so have these lines in it:

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

you don't need to use the dbus-launch command either, as a session dbus instance is already existing.

Personally I don't use slim but only startx, and I want to return to a console prompt when I exit openbox.
I use the 'Exit' action in the main menu (I don't see the command line --exit parameter in the doc).

In your case, you want to return to the slim login screen, and if it doesn't return to it, I tend to think it is a problem with the slim service file.
Is there a 'Restart=always' in it?

Last edited by berbae (2013-04-26 16:02:12)

#3 2013-04-26 16:58:44

replabrobin

Re: proper way to exit openbox

My /etc/ske/.xinitrc deosn't contain any of the above. My slim.service is the standard one and has no Restart. Adding a Restart=always does fix the issue, but why one logout is allowed and two not is beyond me. Openbox does have a --exit option according to openbox --help

Passing messages to a running Openbox instance:
  --reconfigure       Reload Openbox's configuration
  --restart           Restart Openbox
  --exit              Exit Openbox

The arch wiki page on Systemd/User suggest we should all be running systemd --user and handling our own services that way. Any ideas if that's a good idea? Systemd seems quite volatile at present.

Board footer