You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-29 19:34:34

jon.reeve

Help (auto)mounting an encrypted ubuntu /home partition?

Hi, I'm switching to Arch from Ubuntu. I have an encrypted /home partition (at /dev/sda3) from my Ubuntu install that I'd like to automount in Arch. I hear ubuntu uses ecryptfs, so I tried following the instructions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … h_eCryptfs but when I try `mount -t ecryptfs /dev/sda3 /home` I get a bunch of options that I don't know how to parse. It asks me to select the key type to use for newly created files, and I just want the settings to be the same as the ones I used with the ubuntu encrypted drive. Is there an easy way to set this up without having to be an expert in encryption? I just want to access my /home.

#2 2013-04-29 19:47:55

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Help (auto)mounting an encrypted ubuntu /home partition?

I do not have any experience with Ubuntu beyond playing with it for a day in a VM.  Nor, have I experience with encryptfs.

Whatever you do, make certain you know the Passphrase, and the Salt that was used on Ubuntu.  Then, I think you can skip the setup portion of the Wiki, but rather can modprobe the kernel module and jump into the mounting section of the Wiki.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-04-29 20:49:38

jon.reeve

I don't think I have a passphrase or a salt. On Ubuntu, I just log in normally with my login password and it automatically mounts my /home.

#4 2013-04-29 22:05:48

ewaller
Administrator

You must get those credentials from your Ubuntu installation before you switch and erase them or, for whatever reason, you do not have them any more.

I would seriously consider, while in Ubuntu, make a clear text backup that you can restore to Arch.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer