You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-09 09:58:47

greenOwl

Lost with trying to set up wlan

Hello,

I'm a very new archlinux user and just recently managed to install the system on my laptop. I've got nothing but the base system so far (+ GRUP). My next step is to set up wlan but I'm very confused what I have to do. I read the Wireless Setup wiki-entry as well as the networking entry. It seems to me that there are multiple contradicting ways to go about setting up wlan. It is mentioned that I need wpa_supplicant and wireless_tools but later in the entries this statement is not that explicit anymore.

I really would appriciate some (already existing) (up-to-date) instructions what to do. Here is some information I managed to get that might be useful:
> lspci | grep -i net gives me
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev04)
Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] (rev34)

> lspci -v gives me
[...]
Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] (rev34)
[...]
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Kernel modules: iwlwifi

Do I need to install any drivers or firmware based on this information?
Sorry for all these total noob questions!

Thanks in advance.

Edit
demsg  gred iwlwifi gives me
irq 44 for MSI/MSI-X
loaded firmware version 18.168.6.1
CONFIG_IWLFIF_DEBUG disabled
..._DEBUGFS disabled
..._DEVICE_TRACING disabled
..._DEVICE_TESTMODE disabled
..._P2P disabled
Detected Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN, REV=0xB0
L1 Enabled; Disabling L0S
RF_KILL bit toggled to enable radio

Last edited by greenOwl (2013-05-09 21:36:42)

#2 2013-05-09 10:57:42

rix

Re: Lost with trying to set up wlan

You need to install your wifi card driver, load it and reboot.
Do ip link then to find out your device name and active it with ip link set device up.
At last install and configure netctl or something similar.

It's quite easy.

#3 2013-05-09 11:11:37

greenOwl

I don't know what I have to do to install the driver. Could you link me a tutorial or something? I didn't find anything useful in the wiki.

#4 2013-05-09 11:29:31

Strike0

Don't worry about the driver. "iwlwifi" is the module you need and it is autoloaded as your output shows.
Decide on a method to control your wifi-connections, so you can continue here on the wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … management
(better not netcfg - it is still mentioned on the page, but netctl is replacing it as rix pointed out).
The tool you decide on should pull in wpa_supplicant as dependency.

#5 2013-05-09 11:30:35

rix

The wiki is clear enough IMHO.
I've already told you the step to follow up (the same describe in the wiki).
And to install your driver you have to look in the wiki to find out which one it is and then just do
# pacman -Syu driver_name
( and the
# modprobe driver_name )
Wiki docet.

#6 2013-05-09 11:35:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

greenOwl, the only link you'll get is to the wiki page you (claim to) have already read.  All the information you need is right there in a step by step order.  Do not skip steps, just follow through one by one.  You have an intel card, look for the intel driver section listed on that wiki page -  there is a link to the supported intel cards, yours is on that list.  You shouldn't need to install a different driver.

There are different methods of connecting at the bottom of the wireless wiki page - but they are not contradicting - they are just different options.  Follow the manual steps for now.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2013-05-09 13:45:23

greenOwl

I finally managed to ping goole.com smile (after 3h of experimenting)
Thanks for your help!

#8 2013-05-09 21:39:54

greenOwl

Sorry for doublepost, but I've got one more question regarding this topic:

As stated wlan works find now. At least as root. But I cant bring up the wlan interface as a non-root user. How can I fix this?
Also: Is it bad to have files like .config, .mozilla and .adobe in /root?

Thanks again!

Last edited by greenOwl (2013-05-09 22:24:37)

#9 2013-05-09 22:00:08

Raynman

greenOwl wrote:

As stated wlan works find now. At least as root. But I cant bring up the wlan interface as a non-root user. How can I fix this?

Use something like wicd or NetworkManager. Or configure sudo to allow some networking commands (trickier).

Also: Is it bad to have files like .config, .mozilla and .adobe and /root?

If that was supposed to be "in", then in a way it is bad, as those files are probably there because you have been running programs like Flash/Acroread as root and that's a bad idea (security risk). If you really meant "and", then I can say that /root is supposed to be there and the rest are relative paths, so it depends where they are, but you should expect them in /home/<your_user>.

#10 2013-05-09 22:25:14

greenOwl

It was supposed to be "in" ... thanks for the answer!

Board footer