You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-11 16:33:54

4on6

[SOLVED] CUPS - Unable to do maintenance command: Unauthorized

Hi,

I had this problem several times now and still get hurt by it:

My HP_LaserJet_P2055d runs under ArchLinux. Then I use it for some printing with my Win7 Labtop, and the next time I try to use it under ArchLinux it doesn't work anymore.
After much research on the web, I found out, that this can be solved via the CUPS web interface, i.e. going to http://localhost:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_P2055d and then choosing 'Resume Printer' in the Maintaince drop-down menu.

However, when I did this successfully, I was offered a login as root. Now, if I try it, I only get a

Resume Printer HP_LaserJet_P2055d Error

Unable to do maintenance command:

Unauthorized

message, and I'm never offered a way to change user.

I tried to start the browser as root to circumvent this problem, but to no avail.
So, what shall I do to be able to do printer and job administration via the Cups webinterface?

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Last edited by 4on6 (2013-05-11 22:56:13)

#2 2013-05-11 19:24:40

ralvez
Website

Re: [SOLVED] CUPS - Unable to do maintenance command: Unauthorized

So, let me see if I understand the situation.
No matter what you do you cannot login as root in CUPS. In other words you enter user: root and your machine's root password and you get that error?
Or you mean you log in as root but when you try to resume the printer it fails.

R.

#3 2013-05-11 19:56:09

4on6

ralvez wrote:

So, let me see if I understand the situation.
No matter what you do you cannot login as root in CUPS. In other words you enter user: root and your machine's root password and you get that error?

No, there is simply no place in the CUPS webinterface were I can enter user:root and the root-pw, that is the strange thing, and I'm not asked anymore for entering a password. I remember that during former attempts, I was queried for the password and things worked. Now, the command is executed and I get the 'unauthorized' error.

ralvez wrote:

Or you mean you log in as root but when you try to resume the printer it fails.

I tried to start the brower as root, because I thought I could circumvent the problem like this - but to no avail.

Somehow the CUPS webinterface does not give me a chance to login as root, I virtually clicked through all menus and options.

#4 2013-05-11 20:10:45

ralvez
Website

Oh! I see.
That is odd. tongue
Try clickin on "Add a printer". If you are not the root user it should prompt you to enter the root password. You will then become root for the duration of the session...and hopefully will be able deal with the problem that way.

Another thing you may want to consider is acquiring a network printer (a small box that acts as your printer manager for the network) so you do not have to worry about the problem any more. You connect over wifi or ethernet to the network printer and it will send the print work to your printer. They go for as chip as $40 to up of $200 depending on what you are buyin.
The chip ones are good for your home/dorm useage.

Hope this helps.

R.

#5 2013-05-11 21:57:05

4on6

ralvez wrote:

Oh! I see.
That is odd. tongue
Try clickin on "Add a printer". If you are not the root user it should prompt you to enter the root password. You will then become root for the duration of the session...and hopefully will be able deal with the problem that way.

I'm obviously not root, since I'm not authorized, but I'm not prompted either, I get the familar error again:

Add Printer Error

Unable to add printer:

Unauthorized

Thats the odd thing I wrote about. I tried all my 3 browers, chromium, conkeror and firefox, but to no avail. I even tried to delete all my browser data. Its really strange - no prompt anymore, and no option to log in or change user.

ralvez wrote:

Another thing you may want to consider is acquiring a network printer (a small box that acts as your printer manager for the network) so you do not have to worry about the problem any more. You connect over wifi or ethernet to the network printer and it will send the print work to your printer. They go for as chip as $40 to up of $200 depending on what you are buyin.
The chip ones are good for your home/dorm useage.

Thanks for the tip, I should actually have a home network and a network printer, but at the moment I would already be satisfied to simply be able to print again under ArchLinux.

#6 2013-05-11 22:13:52

ralvez
Website

Well ... all is not lost ... this is linux after all wink
Try using the command line.
Here is a link to the CUPS manual

Go to the section 3 - Managing Printers

Before you issue commands do a su and become root.

Then go from there ...

R.

Edit:

BTW I think that what you are looking for is along the lines of:

/usr/bin/enable printer ENTER  or /usr/sbin/accept printer ENTER

Last edited by ralvez (2013-05-11 22:17:01)

#7 2013-05-11 22:55:54

4on6

Ha, that was easy!

sudo cupsenable HP_LaserJet_P2055d

finally did the job.

Thanks you very much for your help, it was kind of frustrating not being able to print while knowing how to solve the problem as root (without being able to become root over the CUPS webinterface).

#8 2013-05-11 23:16:01

ralvez
Website

Glad to be of help! smile

R.

Board footer