You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-12 11:14:27

errikosd

[SOLVED] Cannot login to KDE after Kernel 3.9.2 upgrade (kdm bootloop)

Final edit - FIX: Problem solved. I did the following:
Logged in a console as normal user and executed startx. X server eventually fired up normally displaying the 3 terminals.
Then tried to execute startkde. There was an error about missing libgl libraries. I reinstalled the nvidia-libgl package and the problem was solved.

I am still wondering what causes problems like this.

The problem:

I just upgraded to kernel 3.9.2 and since then I am unable to login to KDE via kdm.

kdm loads fine, I enter my password and when the splash screen starts to load, it throws me out to the kdm login prompt again, like a login loop.

I am using the latest nvidia drivers (319.17-2).

I also tried logging in to tty6 and then starting X and the output was:

~$ startx
[*Xorg information header omitted*]
setversion 1.4 failed
Initializing built-in extension ...

Loading extension GLX
waiting for X server to shut down .Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file. 1.4 failedxinit: connection to X server lost

~$ 

Has anyone the same issue? Any idea about this? This caught me really off guard. mad

*** FIX IS ON TOP OF THIS POST ***

Edit history:
Edit: Tried downgrading the kernel to 3.8.11-1, which used to work fine, still no luck though... :-( maybe something else is wrong.

Edit2: OK, I think I found it. I checked out /var/log/kdm.log and the reason the xserver fails is that

klauncher(775) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!

But I am confused. Isn't DBUS supposed to be started by startkde?

Last edited by errikosd (2013-05-14 16:27:15)

#2 2013-05-14 03:19:25

HalJordan

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot login to KDE after Kernel 3.9.2 upgrade (kdm bootloop)

Holly crap... I've been dealing with this all week. The strangest part was that I could start X and then kde manually and it worked fine so I wasn't pressured, it's not like I logout or reboot that often, but then I had a reboot due to a kernel upgrade(hoping it would fix) and not even that would work...

You need to put the final fix at the top, cause it's an instant pain relief...

#3 2013-05-29 20:21:04

errikosd

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot login to KDE after Kernel 3.9.2 upgrade (kdm bootloop)

Well, I went through the exact same problem today. Seems like when any nvidia* and lib32-nvidia* package gets updated the libGL link gets broken (actually I think that the problem is nvidia-utils).

Anyway, just be aware that you have to reinstall both lib32-nvidia-libgl and nvidia-libgl packages when on x86_64 to fix this.

Board footer