Final edit - FIX: Problem solved. I did the following:
Logged in a console as normal user and executed startx. X server eventually fired up normally displaying the 3 terminals.
Then tried to execute startkde. There was an error about missing libgl libraries. I reinstalled the nvidia-libgl package and the problem was solved.
I am still wondering what causes problems like this.
I just upgraded to kernel 3.9.2 and since then I am unable to login to KDE via kdm.
kdm loads fine, I enter my password and when the splash screen starts to load, it throws me out to the kdm login prompt again, like a login loop.
I am using the latest nvidia drivers (319.17-2).
I also tried logging in to tty6 and then starting X and the output was:
~$ startx [*Xorg information header omitted*] ... setversion 1.4 failed ... Initializing built-in extension ... Initializing built-in extension ... Initializing built-in extension ... ... Initializing built-in extension ... Loading extension GLX waiting for X server to shut down .Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file. 1.4 failedxinit: connection to X server lost ~$
Has anyone the same issue? Any idea about this? This caught me really off guard.
*** FIX IS ON TOP OF THIS POST ***
Edit: Tried downgrading the kernel to 3.8.11-1, which used to work fine, still no luck though... :-( maybe something else is wrong.
Edit2: OK, I think I found it. I checked out /var/log/kdm.log and the reason the xserver fails is that
klauncher(775) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
But I am confused. Isn't DBUS supposed to be started by startkde?
Last edited by errikosd (2013-05-14 16:27:15)
Holly crap... I've been dealing with this all week. The strangest part was that I could start X and then kde manually and it worked fine so I wasn't pressured, it's not like I logout or reboot that often, but then I had a reboot due to a kernel upgrade(hoping it would fix) and not even that would work...
You need to put the final fix at the top, cause it's an instant pain relief...
Well, I went through the exact same problem today. Seems like when any nvidia* and lib32-nvidia* package gets updated the libGL link gets broken (actually I think that the problem is nvidia-utils).
Anyway, just be aware that you have to reinstall both lib32-nvidia-libgl and nvidia-libgl packages when on x86_64 to fix this.