You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-14 13:07:59

wombat23

failed to get d-bus connection

i just did a fresh install, following the installation guide. after reboot, i get to the grub menu, then start linux.
after that i get the error message

systemd-cgroups-agent(154): failed to get d-bus connection: faile (sic!)

this message appears several times, then
welcome to emergency mode (...)

after login nothing works, i cannot even reboot, only get d-bus errors. have to hard reset the computer. fallback is the same. anyone know whats wrong?

#2 2013-05-30 00:12:27

ubunchu

Re: failed to get d-bus connection

Command:

systemctl

Do you have any failed services?
You might have to chroot to extract more info.
Also, try reinstalling systemd and all required packages for it.

Last edited by ubunchu (2013-05-30 00:14:24)

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED].

#3 2013-05-30 00:40:23

WonderWoofy

@ubunchu, if the system is unusable after login, how is the OP supposed to issue your suggested command?

The part of ubunchu's response that makes the most sense to me is the chroot part, as it involves booting from live media to inspect.  I don't think you actually have to chroot to do this, but see about inspecting the journal from the live media.  Mount the rootfs (and var if applicable), then use journalctl's --directory= argument to point it to your mounted system's journal.  Otherwise, you could chroot into the system and use journalctl there.  But I am not sure if journalctl requires a running dbus.  If it does, you don't be able to see the journal.  (Okay, I just tested this, and it seems you can run journalctl from a chroot)

#4 2013-05-30 07:56:55

ubunchu

WonderWoofy wrote:

@ubunchu, if the system is unusable after login, how is the OP supposed to issue your suggested command?

You just said it big_smile (and a lot better than I could have)

You could also skit the chrooting, and you could try to boot into rescue mode or multi-user mode:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … _boot_into

Don't forget to mark as [SOLVED].

Board footer