You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-14 14:41:44

moment92

networkmanager and "no protocol specified"

Hello!
I am having a difficult problem that I haven't managed to solve on my own.

I am using networkmanager (running Xfce). It automatically connects to the last WiFi network I used. However, when I connect to a different network, I can't open desktop applications (Firefox, Thunar, Terminal etc) anymore. When I try opening them from terminal, I get "No protocol specified" message.

Unfortunately it doesn't tell me anything. Google gives me that some time ago there was a problem about networkmanager changing the hostname. Most of the topics were a few years old and the problems were not identical either, so I haven't found a solution that would work for me.

Maybe it is a known issue, but I really haven't found the correct way to fix it. All help is dearly appreciated.

#2 2013-05-20 16:51:29

moment92

Re: networkmanager and "no protocol specified"

bump

#3 2013-06-02 13:01:55

Meuchelfix77

I have the same problem (using KDE and networkmanager).
When the problem occurs, i can not start GUI-applications anymore and there are always error messages like "X: no protocol specified" and that the application can't open display :0.

I don't know, if the problem appears, when the networkmanager tries to connect to another network, but i have problems with my WiFi-networks (after the problem occurs), too.
It seems, that the problem has something to do with X.
When the problem occurs, try

xauth list $DISPLAY

Does the program quit without printing anything to the terminal?

I found out, that i can only fix the problem by restarting Arch or X with

sudo pkill X

I hope we can find a solution for this problem, because it's driving me crazy.   >.<

#4 2013-07-06 00:05:35

Martijnvdc

I'm experiencing the same problem.
It happens when i disconnect from my wifi.
It changes my hostname, which seems to break my Xauthority.

#5 2013-08-23 15:56:52

moment92

For some reason I didn't realize that I can change my hostname back to the correct one with the hostname command. Everything starts working again after that.

#6 2013-08-23 22:48:29

moment92

OK, I have a hack solution. It is possible to modify networkmanager code (version 0.9.8.2-1), specifically nm-policy-hostname.c line 228:

#define FALLBACK_HOSTNAME4 "localhost.localdomain"

At least in my case networkmanager failed to find an appropriate hostname and then finally defaulted to "localhost.localdomain". I simply replaced it with my hostname. Of course the whole problem is probably caused by some bad configuration, but it is a solution that works.

#7 2013-11-21 20:26:11

ende42

Same problem here: I'm losing the connection to the xserver when running networkmanager and changing networks.

A workaround is to set the hostname accordingly to the xauth list info. In my case xauth list looked like this:

% xauth list
localhost/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  ea2bc5d58cbc387f…
localhost/unix:1  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  44565384b179de7…

but hostname returned "localhost.localdomain". Setting hostname to "localhost" fixed it.

Niko.

Board footer