You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-14 16:18:29

dcbdbis

[ISSUE FOUND] Help Request Stabilizing Google Earth 7.1

Good Morning Fellow Archers,

Arch is my main OS, I have a Windows 7 partition for Games (Skyrim).

I am x86_64, running the 32bit libs, NVidia GTX-660 platform, with the "ck" kernel option for my Piledriver CPU with the associated "ck" nvidia modules. The system works very nicely. And I couldn't be happier with Arch as a distribution!

I have started cycling in the last 7 months for health reasons, and in preparation for a disabled veterans Sea to Shining Sea ride in 2014 that I want to participate in (San Fran to Virginia Beach). I use Google Earth (G.E.) to map out various long-distance trails/paths locally to take as training runs with my riding partner.

I use Google Earth in my Windows 7 partition because I cannot get Google Earth 7.1 running stably under Arch. And I openly acknowledge that the "path" section of G.E. is glitchy in and of itself....platform independent. I am OK with that.
//---------------------------

Yesterday, I followed some other threads and downloaded from the AUR. I installed the one package I needed, "ld-lsb", installed, and then did the usual "makepkg -s" for Google Earth. What it brought down was the x86_64 version of Google Earth, instead of the i386 version that I was expecting, mentioned on the AUR page.

There was no resultant ".xz" package from which to do a "pacman -U". But the layout was kind obvious where to put things so I manually moved things around as indicated. There was a launcher script that came with the tarball that set environment variables and performed some font stuff before actually launching G.E.

I launched G.E. using the included launching script from a cli, so I could observe what was going wrong. G.E. came right up, and the fonts did not look wierd as in previous releases. There are a lot of repetitive errors showing up in the cli, but G.E. at least runs.....until....You click on a photo or a place, add more than a few "nodes" to a "path". Instant crash, no signal traps, no nothing...it just vanishes into thin air. And it will not launch again until I restart my D.E. and/or "zap" the "X" server. I am assuming this is necessary to clear out some environment variables that are temporary in nature that the launcher script setup, although I do not know this for sure.

I have included the copy-n-paste error trail from the cli at the bottom of this post.

I have also attempted to install the Windows version under Wine to get around the issue, with no luck. The G.E. installer can't seem to find the internet conenction and dies. The wine-gecko app is installed, as I have one other Windows specific reference software package installed under Wine...that uses the network to update itself. It works just fine....telling me that my Wine install is OK.

I see that others using Arch seem to have G.E. running stably......

I am requesting assistance to get my G.E. installation stable as well. I have no idea where to start....

Some assistance please?

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave.

//----------------Begin cut-n-paste of typical errors leading up to a crash------------------//

[0514/101324:ERROR:net_util.cc(2195)] Not implemented reached in bool net::HaveOnlyLoopbackAddresses()
[0514/101325:ERROR:nss_ocsp.cc(581)] No URLRequestContext for OCSP handler.
[0514/101325:ERROR:nss_ocsp.cc(581)] No URLRequestContext for OCSP handler.

Last edited by dcbdbis (2013-05-15 01:54:26)

#2 2013-05-14 16:24:27

dcbdbis

Re: [ISSUE FOUND] Help Request Stabilizing Google Earth 7.1

I did one more test......

I rebooted with the stock Arch kernel and stock modules for NVidia......The issue remains. The problem is not specific to the "ck" kernel series and their associated video modules.

One more tidbit...I am running pure systemd.......and 16Gb of ram that memtest86 "blesses". And I am not overclocked in any way. The AMD Piledriver (bulldozer Rev II) doesn't need it at all...and I don't like pushing things anyway. I use the "ck" kernels because I can get them compiled specifically for my CPU and I do notice significant responsiveness gains. A Thank You is in order to graysky for providing these kernels.

Dave.

Last edited by dcbdbis (2013-05-14 16:29:14)

#3 2013-05-15 01:53:36

dcbdbis

It appears that in going through the google forums....that the issue I have is a known bug with the current rev of Google, and is slated to be fixed. Doesn't appear that it can be stabilized in it's current incarnation of 7.1.1.1580.

I installed a copy of G.E. to a friends laptop running Fedora 18,....and the problem is there as well. If stability is desired, you need to install an older copy and fight through the ugly font issues.

We'll just have to wait for Google to fix the software.

FYI.

Dave

#4 2013-05-15 04:18:35

nomorewindows

You'll just have to drop back to google-earth6 for now, until the issues are fixed.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer