You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-20 06:09:45

MutantJohn

Can lm_sensors ever detect wrong?

Hello all, I have an AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition CPU and the manufacturer claims that the maximum safe operating temperature is around 62 C. And that's fine, I do suppose.

However, lm_sensors gives me something not 62 C. sensors-detect detects my CPU, RAM, MoBo and system fan stuff all fine however, the output of sensors tells me that the 'high' temperature for my k10temp-pci-00c3 or whatever chip is plugged into the PCI adapter is 70 C. Also, Ubuntu thought this as well because I was using lm_sensors then too. My CPU does not allow itself to go over 70 C and no, I am not overclocking. I hit 70 C once when playing Battlefield 2 through Wine (it was quite broken) but I did not go over 70. My CPU throttled itself.

So my question is, can a native read of sensors-detect repeatedly detect that the proper maximum temperature is 70 and not what the manufacturer says? AMD didn't believe me but no, I'm not overclocking. cpupower let's me know that I'm operating within normal factory frequencies (up to 3.2 GHz at a maximum). I'm inclined to believe that something so root can't be wrong but then again, I don't know how lm_sensors works. I'm assuming it just probes and there's data stored somewhere on the chip or there's something that lets sensors know what the max temp should be instead of a random number.

Last edited by MutantJohn (2013-05-20 06:10:50)

#2 2013-05-20 06:22:54

pam

Re: Can lm_sensors ever detect wrong?

70 C is fine by lm_sensors

lm_sensors is not wrong, but the perception. The values of the cpu temp is not accurate, its always off by a few degrees. So your CPU may run hotter and still show lesser temp.

The solution here is to buy an aftermarket cooler and undervolt your CPU in conjunction to the clock speed.

Your 955 if it is a revised one ....check and see the voltage in the bios ...it should read 1.375v upto 1.400v stock voltages.

If the voltage is above 1.400 i.e 1.475v  stock....well i changed my cpu...because it would get very very hot and power consumption was very high.

Your cpu, if your setup is correct with a good cooler and proper ventilation will never ever touch the max temp, infact will never exceed 60 c unless you are living in delhi or africa.

You can always check in BIOS your stock temps and volts. Infact when you boot up the cpu governor takes over and your temp will further drop.

Last edited by pam (2013-05-20 06:32:02)

Main workstation: HP-Pavilion G6-2005ax, AMD quad core trinity APU(devastator) with 7640 HD 512 MB radeon + 7670m 1GB Gddr3 dedicated, 240 gb zalman ssd, 8GB ddr 3 1600mhz, OS: Arch 2013, Ultimate 3.4 lite, Windows 8.
Moderator at www.ultimateeditionoz.com Admin at:http://forumubuntusoftware.info

Board footer