You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-22 17:48:46

dcbdbis

[SOLVED] Verifying systemd conversion

Good Afternoon Fellow Archers,

I have an x86_64 installation of Arch when Arch was still using sysV init. When systemd was recommended, I switched over as recommended. So my system should be pure systemd, at least so I think. And the changeover was fairly easy. I just had to change how I start/stop/enable/restart daemons using systemctl. Minor.....

I have no "/etc/init.d" dirtree, and "/etc/rc.d" only has six entries in it, all scripts, and no dirtrees of any kind. It has a date/time stamp that keeps getting refreshed periodically. LIke today, after a "pacman -Syu" in which a new systemd was installed (204). In "/etc/rc.d" there are six scripts, "bluetooth, ip6tables, iptables, ntpd, ntpdate, and ppp".

I have looked at the systemd wiki, checked out the forums, and followed links to other related articles on the site...but I do not find the specific information (guide) I am looking for.

I am looking for a way to determine absolutely, if I have a pure systemd installation now, or if there are any remnants of sysV that I still need to convert/remove.

Question: How can I determine if I have a pure systemd implementation?

And in asking, I also highly recommend adding the answer to the wiki page of "systemd" to allow others to determine that they are running a pure systemd implementation.

I will certainly be appreciative for any information/quide.

Sincerly and respectfully,

Dave

Last edited by dcbdbis (2013-05-22 23:40:24)

#2 2013-05-22 17:52:31

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] Verifying systemd conversion

cat /proc/1/comm

#3 2013-05-22 18:03:36

Scimmia
Fellow

At this point, if you're booting with systemd, you have a "pure" systemd setup. For a while there, systemd would load the daemons array from rc.local, but that's not true anymore. rc.d scripts are actively being removed from packages so that dir will be empty in the next couple of weeks, along with just about everything from /etc/conf.d.

#4 2013-05-22 18:27:57

dcbdbis

Thank you for the replies.

Here are the results.... So does this tell me I am pure systemd?

//-----------Begin cut-n-paste---------//

[dcbdbis@Curly-Sr ~]$ cat /proc/1/comm
systemd

//----------End cut-n-paste----------//

Thanks!

Dave

#5 2013-05-22 18:50:46

WonderWoofy

It is telling you you are using systemd indeed.  Whether or not it is "pure" systemd can be determined by whether or not you have an additional init system installed.  To make things systemd only, you would just need to install systemd-sysvcompat, as that will ensure that /sbin/init is a symlink to /usr/lib/systemd/systemd, which is the systemd binary.

#6 2013-05-22 19:20:05

karol
Archivist

Instead of //-----------Begin cut-n-paste---------// , please use code tags, like this:

[dcbdbis@Curly-Sr ~]$ cat /proc/1/comm
systemd

As for the /etc/rc.d files https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=163703 :-)

#7 2013-05-22 23:40:09

dcbdbis

Thank you for the link, and for the reply,

I didn't use the code tags as it was not code that I wanted someone to copy and paste into their own system.

I'll use them next time... my apologies.

And also my thanks for the responses. I'm good to go now.

Dave....

PS: I followed the other forum link, and like one of the poster's, I deleted my /etc/rc.d dir. Rebooted. Everything came back up just perfect. So systemd it is! I already had the sysv compat utilities installed.

Last edited by dcbdbis (2013-05-22 23:47:46)

Board footer