You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-26 22:22:47

Ferdinand866

Trying to mark a grub GPT partition with parted give me error

i try to mark mygrub partition to boot my system and when i reach the line in grub archwiki

parted /dev/disk set X bios_grub on

i get an error :

Parted: Invalid token: bios_grub

Last edited by Ferdinand866 (2013-05-27 22:43:35)

I have a hamradio license and know over Sail Boats too. My natural languaje is spanish.

#2 2013-05-26 22:33:59

WonderWoofy

Re: Trying to mark a grub GPT partition with parted give me error

Have you already made the parition?  I know next to nothing about using parted, I am a gptfdisk user myself (gdisk), but I do know that if that is the exact command you used, you are not actually specifying anything with /dev/disk.  There is a /dev/disk directory, but it leads to a bunch of symlinks for various alternative names for /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.  I think what it is asking for is to actually specify the partition where the small grub partition is located.  So if you put it at the beginning of the first disk it would be /dev/sda1. 

Alternatively, you could just use gdisk.  I think gdisk is much much more user friendly, and has a much saner approach to partition type codes.  Use the interactive functionality with "gdisk /dev/sda" (assuming you want to modify sda), then enter a "?" to get a list of available options.  I think it is a "t" that allows you to change the partition's type code.  Select the partition you want to modify, and then change the code to ef02.

#3 2013-05-26 22:41:04

Ferdinand866

> you are not actually specifying anything with /dev/disk

yeah and sry .The command /dev/sdx represents /dev/sdc for example the disk i have to change where resides the grub especial boot partition and was created  too.

X is the number of that partition , but the error is related to a token in part and the help on the command part give me that token valid as root,etc ,etc ,etc ,etc ,grub_bios, etc, etc.

Ok ty ,i try to make whit that another friendly partitioner. Last time i try fdisk but dont have the option EF02 only have the EF option in types .

Last edited by Ferdinand866 (2013-05-26 22:45:30)

I have a hamradio license and know over Sail Boats too. My natural languaje is spanish.

#4 2013-05-26 22:41:20

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

As an addition, if you really want a curses interface the way parted provides, `cgdisk` is a better alternative, imho, to parted.

All the best,

-HG

#5 2013-05-27 02:00:23

WonderWoofy

If you use fdisk to partition, you are using MBR partitioning, and don't need the grub boot partition.  It is only when using bios booting and GPT.  Cgdisk is nice as well.  But I think that if you are confortable with fdisk, then gdisk is actually modelled after that so you should feel right at home.  The single letter commands might be a bit different, but the help is layed out exactly the same and everything.

#6 2013-05-28 00:11:44

Ferdinand866

Why in fdisk had a option EF to mark the partition like GRUB/EFI or GPT ?

#7 2013-05-28 01:04:14

WonderWoofy

Ferdinand866 wrote:

Why in fdisk had a option EF to mark the partition like GRUB/EFI or GPT ?

I'm sorry, but I'm having a realy hard time parsing this.  What is it yu are asking here?

Board footer