You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-28 18:42:18

toni

[SOLVED] Cannot mount NTFS partition

I have a NTFS backup partition and I can access to it from arch without problems but there are times that I get the following error:

Error mounting /dev/sda5 at /run/media/toni/DATA: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=100,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda5" "/run/media/toni/DATA"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda5': Operación no permitida
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

and my /etc/fstab is:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>	<dir>	<type>	<options>	<dump>	<pass>
tmpfs		/tmp	tmpfs	nodev,nosuid	0	0
/dev/sdb10 /home ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb11 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb5 /boot ext4 defaults 0 1
#/dev/sdb6 /tmp ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb7 /var ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb8 / btrfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb9 /usr ext4 defaults 0 0

I have started windows in order to check this partition because I have googled and I have seen that this can be a solution. Then shutdown Win and start again arch.
But I do not know why but now I cannot get this partition to be mounted.

Any ideas?

Last edited by toni (2013-06-08 18:42:33)

#2 2013-05-28 23:04:00

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot mount NTFS partition

I have heard that with new versions of windows (read "ocho") that in oder to achieve its supposedly faster boot, it actually does not really shut the machine down.  Instead it puts it in a kind of special hibernation that has all the appearance of being shutdown, but actually doesn't haev to go through the whole boot process to get back to it.  So because of this, there is some inherent danger to any data that is written during this quasi-shutdown, as upon reinitialization of windows, it will not have record of the data that was written to the disk, so there is the chance that it will assume it is old stale data that it can write over.

For this reason, the ntfs-3g people decided to add this function into their software in which you cannot mount the partition if windows has been shut down in this way.  The problem is that windows doesn't tell people that their machine is not actually being shut down...

#3 2013-06-08 18:42:07

toni

WonderWoofy wrote:

I have heard that with new versions of windows (read "ocho") that in oder to achieve its supposedly faster boot, it actually does not really shut the machine down.  Instead it puts it in a kind of special hibernation that has all the appearance of being shutdown, but actually doesn't haev to go through the whole boot process to get back to it.  So because of this, there is some inherent danger to any data that is written during this quasi-shutdown, as upon reinitialization of windows, it will not have record of the data that was written to the disk, so there is the chance that it will assume it is old stale data that it can write over.

For this reason, the ntfs-3g people decided to add this function into their software in which you cannot mount the partition if windows has been shut down in this way.  The problem is that windows doesn't tell people that their machine is not actually being shut down...

From windows I rebooted instead of shut down. It seems shut down is not a real shut down as you have stated. Thanks!

#4 2013-06-08 18:48:32

WonderWoofy

There is a oneline script floating around the internets that can make your windows 8 system do a real shutdown.  It is something like "shutdown.exe \s \full \t 0"... but you probably want to double check that.  I have never used windows 8, so this is solely off of what I have read across the interwebs.

#5 2013-06-08 18:55:26

lucke

You can disable "fast startup" in Windows' power options.

Last edited by lucke (2013-06-08 18:56:33)

Board footer