You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-29 13:34:01

TheOne

netctl problems.

Trying to install on VirtualBox to get a feel for the system, this is my first time ever Arch, I am fulltime Ubuntu user otherwise.

I get the following error when I trying to start the wireless connection with:

>> netctl start Eggitt
>>                      Job for netctl@Eggitt.sevice failed. See 'systemctl status netctl@Eggitt.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

What is going on?

Here is my configuration file;
wireless-wep-string-key:
Description='A simple WEP Encrypted Wireless Connection'
Interface='wlan0'
Connection='wireless'
Security='wep'
ESSID='Eggitt'
Key='72724***8' (Star put in by me fpr security purpose, it is actually just a simple phone number)
IP='dhcp'
#Uncomment this if your  SSID is hidden
#yes

So what do I do wrong?

By the way how do one go about to open the "systemctl status netctl@Eggitt.service' and 'journalctl -xn'" that I get as a result when I cannot open the wireless connection, could be interesting to look into.

Sincerely.

#2 2013-05-29 14:13:52

sdh

Re: netctl problems.

Hi TheOne,

1) If you are installing inside a virtualbox, you should be having a direct internet connection using NAT (unless you have changed it in the settings) which uses your host system internet. So net should be working automatically from inside the VM. Try `ping -c 3 www.google.com` to see if it so.

2) If not, check what network devices you have (by typing `ip link`), then follow the instructions from the beginner's guide. Note that device name which you have written as wlan0, such names are no longer assigned.

3) You can open 'systemctl status netctl@Eggitt.service' and 'journalctl -xn' by typing them directly in the command line.

#3 2013-05-29 14:18:27

TheOne

sdh wrote:

Hi TheOne,

1) If you are installing inside a virtualbox, you should be having a direct internet connection using NAT (unless you have changed it in the settings) which uses your host system internet. So net should be working automatically from inside the VM. Try `ping -c 3 www.google.com` to see if it so.

2) If not, check what network devices you have (by typing `ip link`), then follow the instructions from the beginner's guide. Note that device name which you have written as wlan0, such names are no longer assigned.

3) You can open 'systemctl status netctl@Eggitt.service' and 'journalctl -xn' by typing them directly in the command line.

1: Gets "ping: unknown host www.google.com"

2:  Ok I will look into that. For anyone that are intrested or are going to google this for help in the future here is a screenshot;
http://i.imgur.com/fO1AzQN.png

3: Ok thanks.

#4 2013-05-29 14:22:27

TheOne

Hold on, reading on it sent me to some even more detailed wiki, might be solution there, keeping the below for future reference, sorry.

From the beginners guide;
"In this example, wlp3s0 is the available wireless interface. If you are unsure, your wireless interface is likely to start with the letter "w", and unlikely to be "lo" or start with the letter "e". "

Well the problem is that I do not have anything that starts with w;

Here is what I got:
>> iwconfig
>> enp0s3 no wireless extansions
>>
>> lo no wireless extanstions

So this gets worse by the minute smile hehe

Last edited by TheOne (2013-05-29 14:24:20)

#5 2013-05-29 15:15:46

TheOne

Solution to my problems:

I typed "dhcpcd" and ditched 'netctl', dont know what it is or what it does (gonna Google it now), but it worked!

Probalby just because I am running it on virtualbox.

Im growing and learning so much with this! This is like xmas morning! Love Arch! <3

#6 2013-05-29 17:24:26

Spec-Chum

Totally agree. I'm quite new to Linux in general but I've learnt more in the 2 days I've had arch installed vs the few weeks I've used Linux mint.

Board footer