You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-10 10:32:49

Komodo

Hmm... ATI oddness..

So here's the dealio - I'm one of the fortunate few for whom the graphical ATI driver installer works in arch; recently I rebuilt my Arch system from scratch, and I decided y'day to reinstall my ATI drivers. Having done so, and restarted the X server, things were shiny, and I was getting Direct Rendering etc. However, upon reboot things weren't looking so good - when I tried to run glxgears I got the following error:

glxgears: Error: couldn't open display '(null)'

...and similarly for glxinfo:

Error: unable to open display (null)

The offending line in xorg.conf was

# === Screen Management ===
[b]    Option "DesktopSetup"               "(null)" [/b]
    Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0" 
    Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x00000000"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x00000000"

I quickly resolved the problem by entering 0x00000000 in place of '(null)' - however, being the sort of person who wants to understand a problem rather than work round it, I would be grateful if someone could tell me why this value would change after a reboot? :?

Also, if the value keeps changing upon reboot, it would be nice to know what's causing it!  big_smile

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#2 2005-11-11 03:47:36

Jacob

Re: Hmm... ATI oddness..

My xorg.conf config file is similar to yours...

# === Screen Management ===
    Option "DesktopSetup"               "(null)"
    Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0"
    Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x06419064"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x06419064"

I can only assume that the fglrxconfig put that option in your xorg.conf based on your input.  Perhaps there was a difference this time (selecting an option) when you ran that program?

Jacob

#3 2005-11-11 12:45:13

Komodo

Re: Hmm... ATI oddness..

I dunno Jacob; I can understand it being put in there... what I don't understand is why having 'null' in there would work before I rebooted, but not after; I'm just trying to find out how things work, so I can understand what has changed after a reboot.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

Board footer