You are not logged in.

#301 2013-06-06 04:29:36

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: filesystem Update Error /bin exists in filesystem

And with only a single exception, all problems in this topic and others have been user error.

#302 2013-06-06 04:33:50

dvh

after step one of your instructions, here are the OFFENDING packages (aka "crap")
grub
sysvinit
initscripts

great.  but then the advice is to "fix it".  exactly how would I do just that?

0dvh

#303 2013-06-06 04:35:45

Pranavg1890

Hi Friends, Yesterday I upgraded my system. The upgrade went smoothly and pacman gave me no errors. I did not read instructions on the archlinux front page for /usr/bin. ( Really sorry for that)
And when I rebooted the system, It gave me the following error like this:

ERROR: Root device mounted succesfully, but /sbin/init does not exist.
Bailing out, you are on your own. Good luck.

sh: can't access tty,job control turned off.

The computer just hangs after that. I am not able to do anything rather than restart my computer using power button.

I also tried the command 'pacman -root <mountpoint>' from a arch live cd but it give me some error about alpm library not present.

Also, tried chrooting from a fedora 18 live cd (used it as it boots straight to gui and is easy to use), but it says /bin/bash not found. I tried copying the bash from fedora's livecd itself, but again it gives me error about libtinfo.so.5 not being found.

Please help me friends. I don't want to go for a complete reinstall. Instead would like to rescue my system. Many thanks.

Also , for more information , i upgraded some packages like bash, systemd, systemd-sysvcompat , netctl if that helps. Many thanks.

Last edited by Pranavg1890 (2013-06-06 04:36:55)

Using Openbox + Tint2 + Idesk

#304 2013-06-06 04:36:41

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

None of those packages is supported. You show up here whingeing about the developers efforts to improve Arch and you are running initscripts?

Pathetic.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#305 2013-06-06 04:46:57

Scimmia
Fellow

all three unsupported package no longer in the official repos.

grub - I would suggest updating to syslinux or grub2, but if you want to keep it, install grub-legacy from the AUR, it's already been fixed.
sysvinit - switch to systemd and uninstall this
initscripts - see previous

#306 2013-06-06 04:52:42

WonderWoofy

Scimmia wrote:

grub - I would suggest updating to syslinux or grub2, but if you want to keep it, install grub-legacy from the AUR, it's already been fixed.

Not only this, but I have seen this issue covered at least three times since yesterday.

#307 2013-06-06 04:53:57

Scimmia
Fellow

Pranavg1890 wrote:

Hi Friends, Yesterday I upgraded my system. The upgrade went smoothly and pacman gave me no errors. I did not read instructions on the archlinux front page for /usr/bin. ( Really sorry for that)
And when I rebooted the system, It gave me the following error like this:

ERROR: Root device mounted succesfully, but /sbin/init does not exist.
Bailing out, you are on your own. Good luck.

sh: can't access tty,job control turned off.

The computer just hangs after that. I am not able to do anything rather than restart my computer using power button.

I also tried the command 'pacman -root <mountpoint>' from a arch live cd but it give me some error about alpm library not present.

Also, tried chrooting from a fedora 18 live cd (used it as it boots straight to gui and is easy to use), but it says /bin/bash not found. I tried copying the bash from fedora's livecd itself, but again it gives me error about libtinfo.so.5 not being found.

Please help me friends. I don't want to go for a complete reinstall. Instead would like to rescue my system. Many thanks.

Also , for more information , i upgraded some packages like bash, systemd, systemd-sysvcompat , netctl if that helps. Many thanks.

Instructions here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1283343
The error you got usually means you didn't mount something that's important or you gave the wrong mount point.

#308 2013-06-06 04:58:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

Not only this, but I have seen this issue covered at least three times since yesterday.

In  this  thread...

#309 2013-06-06 05:06:52

Scimmia
Fellow

Scimmia wrote:

Oh, and in case you're interested:
https://www.archlinux.org/news/grub-leg … supported/
https://www.archlinux.org/news/end-of-i … s-support/

#310 2013-06-06 05:29:51

shuuichi_nitori

is it very serious? I mean, I didn't updated my system because I'm not very sure about what to do *a bit scared maybe*, are this changes present on the last iso?
I'm very sorry because I don't fully understand how to make a proper update, also, I can't broke my system this days, I'm working on some projects , so, I need my computer.

Archlinux + AwesomeWM

#311 2013-06-06 05:33:03

Scimmia
Fellow

shuuichi_nitori, just like always - if you can't spend a couple of hours fixing things if they break, it's better to put off the update for a few days (or even a few weeks).

But if you carefully follow the directions on the front page, the update is very smooth.

#312 2013-06-06 05:34:38

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

shuuichi_nitori wrote:

is it very serious? I mean, I didn't updated my system because I'm not very sure about what to do *a bit scared maybe*, are this changes present on the last iso?
I'm very sorry because I don't fully understand how to make a proper update, also, I can't broke my system this days, I'm working on some projects , so, I need my computer.

You can not expect to update Arch "sometimes". You either install it and keep it up to date regularly, or expect things to break (badly) when you do try and update. Yes it's serious, and yes the changes are present in the latest ISO.

Arch is NOT for you if you need a stable system, especially if you're not prepared and/or posses the skills to maintain it in working order.

#313 2013-06-06 06:41:34

Pranavg1890

@jasonwryan, I am not at all running initscripts. I am using systemd and systemd-sysvcompat.

Also, I would like to mention that  i did not upgrade filesystem package . The only system packages I upgraded are bash, systemd, systemd-sysvcompat only. and no other low-level packages.

Also, tried this command, pacman --root /mnt -Qo /mnt/usr/sbin , but it gives me this error:
could not determine ownership of the destination

Many thanks. I guess i will have to download the latest arch iso and then see what i can do. Many thanks.

Last edited by Pranavg1890 (2013-06-06 06:51:17)

#314 2013-06-06 06:50:01

Scimmia
Fellow

Pranavg1890, jasonwryan's post was directed at the post before yours. Yours just got in the middle.

As I said, that pacman error usually means you didn't mount everything or you specified the wrong --root (notice it's two dashes, not one) mountpoint. Specifically, do you have a separate /var partition?

Last edited by Scimmia (2013-06-06 06:50:23)

#315 2013-06-06 06:52:43

Pranavg1890

OK. Really Sorry for that also. As, you can see I am big Noob. Many thanks.

#316 2013-06-06 07:40:38

roninn

Hi, I needed several attempts until the upgrade succeeded so I want to put my experience in digital form [small advice if you are scared for your system just do backup image that you can restore 1:1, then start playing, you can even first try on your restored image in some virtual machine wink]:

$ pacman -Qqo /bin /sbin /usr/sbin | pacman -Qm -

returned consolekit initscripts, so I needed to remove them, but not with -Rsn, so the right one was

# pacman -Rdd consolekit initscripts

after that "pacman -Qqo /bin /sbin /usr/sbin | pacman -Qm -" did not return anything, then

$ find /bin /sbin /usr/sbin -exec pacman -Qo -- {} + >/dev/null

returned /usr/sbin/VBoxService, so I needed to move it

# mv /usr/sbin/VBoxService /usr/bin/

then

# pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem,bash
# pacman -S bash

executed without error, but "# pacman -Su" gave me error, /sbin exist. In /sbin were files like halt, reboot, shutdown ... They need to be removed and a systemd compatibilty to be installed, so

# pacman -R sysvinit
# pacman -Su
# pacman -S systemd-sysvcompat

should execute without error. You may need to take care of some other packages that can be listed with "# pacman -Ql | grep ' /s\?bin/\| /usr/sbin/'", but I did not have any of them, probably by removing them and installing them after the reboot again ... I am not sure about that
Hope it helps, cheers

Last edited by roninn (2013-06-06 07:42:50)

#317 2013-06-06 08:03:58

progandy

returned consolekit initscripts, so I needed to remove them, but not with -Rsn, so the right one was

# pacman -Rdd consolekit initscripts

Never use -Rdd if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Ignoring dependencies is not a good idea.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#318 2013-06-06 08:36:48

karol
Archivist

koyal13 wrote:

What is causing this error? How can I know which packages are in conflict?

By reading the stickied thread in the Newbie Forum, where you should have started looking for an answer: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130138

#319 2013-06-06 08:41:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the stickied thread...

#320 2013-06-06 09:04:11

southerncross

Scimmia wrote:

grub - if you want to keep it, install grub-legacy from the AUR, it's already fixed. Alternative - install a supported bootloader like syslinux or grub2
gen-init-cpio - hasn't been used in years, remove it
cpufreqd - the AUR package has been updated, update yours.
dcron - you'll have to fix it yourself. There's instructions in the AUR comments
initscripts - are you using it? If you're booting with systemd, just remove it. If you're not, upgrade to systemd. If you don't want to do that, you're on your own.
tcp_wrappers - removed from the repos long ago, you're probably not using it. Unless pacman complains, just remove it. If pacman does complain (ie you still use it), it's been fixed in the AUR, update.

Thanks a lot Scimmia. I see I have some work to do and I'll come back here in case of issues.

TC!

#321 2013-06-06 09:14:06

pjezek

When upgrading grub and systemd packages before filesystem, 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' shoud be run to prevent issues after reboot. My issue was grub failure reading root device option. Running 'mkinitcpio -p linux' after that is a safety belt if anything wit kernel upgrade was not as it should be. Some missing firmware report when rebuiliding ramdisk is worth checking your module support by the system.

Our tomcat for your mice! Archlinux for your comps! Alfa Romeo for your roads! Faster running guaranted!

#322 2013-06-06 09:23:29

Janusz11

Pranavg1890 wrote:

Also, tried chrooting from a fedora 18 live cd (used it as it boots straight to gui and is easy to use), but it says /bin/bash not found.

Is it possible that you're trying to fix a 64-bit system with a 32-bit LiveCD system (or vice versa)?

#323 2013-06-06 13:27:48

Scimmia
Fellow

Janusz11 wrote:
Pranavg1890 wrote:

Also, tried chrooting from a fedora 18 live cd (used it as it boots straight to gui and is easy to use), but it says /bin/bash not found.

Is it possible that you're trying to fix a 64-bit system with a 32-bit LiveCD system (or vice versa)?

No, what he's seeing is normal; with no /bin symlink, there is no /bin/bash. If you want to chroot you need to specify your shell as /usr/bin/bash

#324 2013-06-06 13:42:21

Francuss

I am a newbie trying to keep things simple, never used testing nor AUR, but when trying a system update

pacman -Syu

got these same errors

so tried to follow the method of post 3

item 1

$ comm -12 <(pacman -Qqm) <(pacman -Qqo /bin /sbin /usr/sbin | sort -u)

got no packages

item 2

there were no pakages

item 3

went ok
without errors

but when i reboot I'm getting:
ERROR: device 'UUID=7cf13....' not found, Skippink fsck
ERROR: Unable to find root device 'UUID=7cf13....'.
you are being dropped to a recovery shell
type 'exit' to try and continue booting
sh: can't access tty:job control turned off

any help?

#325 2013-06-06 13:50:57

Visp

I finally solved!!

thanks to #227 and #265 big_smile

Last edited by Visp (2013-06-06 13:51:08)

Board footer