You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-01 04:28:56

johnride

GPU fan try to spin but unable *wierd* problem

https://plus.google.com/110819513504187 … rquzbvdmit

Hi this is out of Arch range but I like this community so here I post.

I found a used Asus 560 TI close to my place on internet and bought it. The girl says it was working very well one hour before I get it.

So the display is perfect and the cards runs smoothly under 50degC even with the fans not spinning so I can use it for my daily desktop usage but not graphic intensive work.

My question is what can cause this? The fans spin freely when doing it manually but when I turn on the computer they wont go. Even at 100degC they did not start (I discovered the fan did not work because it was a this temperature). I tried it on another Asus motherboard and it did the same (also had the same thermaltake 600w PSU). I looked at the GPU BIOS and it is the latest version as my mobo. I also deplug-replug the fans but no more luck.

Thanks for any advice!

#2 2013-06-01 04:32:03

WonderWoofy

Re: GPU fan try to spin but unable *wierd* problem

Uhh... borked power wire?  "Spin freely when doing it manually" is a whole hell of a lot different then when you want it to be run by electricity.  I don't know much about GPUs, but is the fan removable?  Can you try to power it with something else and see if you can even get it going that way?

#3 2013-06-01 04:36:16

johnride

Tried it on two different PSUs of the same model both working very well with my old card (which was more power hungry) I don't think it is the problem. Plus the fans are supposed to spin even without the additional 6 pins connectors it's just the GPU speed that won't go as high.

And as you can see (I hope the video works) the spin slowly but continuously when I start them.

Last edited by johnride (2013-06-01 04:37:28)

#4 2013-06-01 04:41:55

WonderWoofy

Oh I see.  I didn't watch the video at first because G+ doesn't play nice with dwb recently.  But i opened it Chromium.  Funky sh*t you've got going on there.  I had a fan that was doing something like this on a ThinkCentre, it was the CPU though, and it turned out that the mobo needed to be replaced.  So it was apparently some integrated circuitry that was somehow damaged at some point.  Sorry I can't be of any real help though.  Good luck.

#5 2013-06-01 10:54:20

mich41

There is no way this could be caused by "wrong" PSU or motherboard. Try upgrading to SSD instead (just kidding).

The only way this could be a software problem is if the fan was supposed to be started by drivers only during high load. However, my reference 560Ti starts fans at low speed immediately upon power-up and IIRC other GPUs I had also did so, so yours probably should too.

This makes me believe it's a hardware issue - disconnected fan plug, fan clogged up with dust, bearing damage, etc. Ask on some hardware forum, people there may have more experience dealing with such things.

Board footer