You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-03 14:22:06

ibrunton

[solved] adding/deleting partitions on a functioning system (gdisk)

I have a large, unused partition (/dev/sda7) at the end of my disk.  It's type 8300/Linux filesystem.  I'd like to delete it and in that space create some more partitions without touching the other partitions (/dev/sda1 through /dev/sda6).  If I use gdisk, can I do that, or will writing the new partition table erase everything on the other partitions---i.e., my boot partition, Arch installation, /home, and so on?  The warning gdisk gives me is

Final checks complete. About to write GPT data. THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING PARTITIONS!!

I can't tell if it means all partitions, or just the one I deleted.

I haven't been able to find anything via google that clarifies this, as I can only seem to find pages about creating partitions during installation.

Last edited by ibrunton (2013-06-03 14:57:20)

#2 2013-06-03 14:55:31

drcouzelis
Website

Re: [solved] adding/deleting partitions on a functioning system (gdisk)

If you don't make any changes to a partition then it will not be touched. The section in the partition table that refers to the partitions you want to keep will be "overwritten" with the same information that was already there, or, in other words, it will not change.

But, if all else fails, you can just replace your data from the recent backup you made. You do have a recent backup, right?

...right?

#3 2013-06-03 14:57:07

ibrunton

Re: [solved] adding/deleting partitions on a functioning system (gdisk)

drcouzelis wrote:

If you don't make any changes to a partition then it will not be touched. The section in the partition table that refers to the partitions you want to keep will be "overwritten" with the same information that was already there, or, in other words, it will not change.

But, if all else fails, you can just replace your data from the recent backup you made. You do have a recent backup, right?

...right?

I do have recent backups.  And will probably make another before I fire up gdisk again anyway.

Thanks for clarifying!

Board footer