You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-06 01:42:02

kenan

grub-config cannot find my win8 os...

Hi all,

I install 6.1 ios, after install and config grub.

when I run following command, the generate cfg file did not include my win8 os.

# modprobe dm-mod
# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

any comments.

Last edited by kenan (2013-06-06 01:42:15)

#2 2013-06-06 01:52:34

WonderWoofy

Re: grub-config cannot find my win8 os...

Did ytou install os-prober?

#3 2013-06-06 01:57:37

kenan

WonderWoofy wrote:

Did ytou install os-prober?

yes, I have installed it.

#4 2013-06-06 02:02:37

WonderWoofy

I'm not a big fan of grub and its autogenerated config because of things like this.  Are you dead set on using grub?  Or would you be open to trying something else?  Are you only booting windows 8 and Arch Linux?  If so, then I would highly recommend syslinux, as its configuration makes a whole hell of a lot more sense to me than grub's insanely long and overly-verbose config file.

If not, I am afraid that my help stops here.  Not because I don't want to help, but because I don't know enough to get you any further other than telling you to manually make a config in the 40-custom.conf or whatever it is.

#5 2013-06-06 02:08:14

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Read the wiki on grub, there's clear instructions on how to do it manually. os-prober may not work, and relying on automagically generated stuff makes me cringe anyway.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2013-06-06 02:08:37

kenan

WonderWoofy wrote:

I'm not a big fan of grub and its autogenerated config because of things like this.  Are you dead set on using grub?  Or would you be open to trying something else?  Are you only booting windows 8 and Arch Linux?  If so, then I would highly recommend syslinux, as its configuration makes a whole hell of a lot more sense to me than grub's insanely long and overly-verbose config file.

If not, I am afraid that my help stops here.  Not because I don't want to help, but because I don't know enough to get you any further other than telling you to manually make a config in the 40-custom.conf or whatever it is.

any way, thanks a lot for you help.
per the grub, I do not know why it stop using the menu.list and change to cfg file which is hard to read and use.

Per the archios, I also think it is need too many things to read to install.  I will try syslinux.

thanks

Board footer