You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-06 09:57:47

kenan
Member
Registered: 2011-09-30
Posts: 29

the screen is black when loading by grub....

Hi all,

after install archios with 6.1 iso, after install grub and config, reboot.

it shows welcome to grub,  then the screen is black, there is no menu to show which os to load and it load to the arch.

I find in twiki:
If you are using an Intel video chipset and the screen goes blank during the boot process, the problem is likely an issue with Kernel Mode Setting. A possible workaround may be achieved by rebooting and pressing e over the entry that you are trying to boot (i686 or x86_64). At the end of the string type nomodeset and press Enter. Alternatively, try video=SVIDEO-1:d which, if it works, will not disable kernel mode setting. See the Intel article for more information.

but as it is black, how do I to change this?

--kenan

Offline

#2 2013-06-06 17:47:13

qinohe
Member
From: A Dutch location..)
Registered: 2012-06-20
Posts: 649

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

Hi first of all I don't know if I'm able to help you, but, the info is a little short!
For instance, what system are you using.
Then U always have the possibility to chroot into the system and repair whatever you want to repair, see wiki for this!


-I can give you a ladder, but you need to climb it yourself-

Offline

#3 2013-06-07 00:41:45

kenan
Member
Registered: 2011-09-30
Posts: 29

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

qinohe wrote:

Hi first of all I don't know if I'm able to help you, but, the info is a little short!
For instance, what system are you using.
Then U always have the possibility to chroot into the system and repair whatever you want to repair, see wiki for this!

#1. I install win8 in my first /dev/sda1.

#2. my arch / mnt to /dev/sda11 and /homt mnt to /dev/sda10.

#3. after isntall.

#4.
# pacman -S grub-bios
# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
# cp /usr/share/locale/en\@quot/LC_MESSAGES/grub.mo /boot/grub/locale/en.mo
# pacman -S os-prober
# # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
# reboot

then, the grub is black.

Offline

#4 2013-06-07 17:51:43

teateawhy
Member
From: GER
Registered: 2012-03-05
Posts: 1,058
Website

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

/dev/sda11 . Are you using gpt partitioning?

Offline

#5 2013-06-08 04:57:08

kenan
Member
Registered: 2011-09-30
Posts: 29

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

teateawhy wrote:

/dev/sda11 . Are you using gpt partitioning?

yes, I am

Offline

#6 2013-06-08 08:15:05

toketin
Member
From: Belluno (Italy)
Registered: 2007-04-17
Posts: 317

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

@kenan which pc do you have? And which video card? With my Lenovo Ideapad S300 i get a black screen during bootloading, because the kernel set the backlight to the minimum level that corresponds to the total black screen hmm

Offline

#7 2013-06-08 10:30:30

teateawhy
Member
From: GER
Registered: 2012-03-05
Posts: 1,058
Website

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

Have you created a BIOS boot partition? It is necessary when using GPT with BIOS booting.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … _partition

Offline

#8 2013-06-09 02:02:59

kenan
Member
Registered: 2011-09-30
Posts: 29

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

toketin wrote:

@kenan which pc do you have? And which video card? With my Lenovo Ideapad S300 i get a black screen during bootloading, because the kernel set the backlight to the minimum level that corresponds to the total black screen hmm

My pc is thinkpad T400,  video card are ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470+Intel(R) 4 series EXpress Chipset Family.

how did you fix this?

Offline

#9 2013-06-09 11:55:30

toketin
Member
From: Belluno (Italy)
Registered: 2007-04-17
Posts: 317

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

kenan wrote:
toketin wrote:

@kenan which pc do you have? And which video card? With my Lenovo Ideapad S300 i get a black screen during bootloading, because the kernel set the backlight to the minimum level that corresponds to the total black screen hmm

My pc is thinkpad T400,  video card are ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470+Intel(R) 4 series EXpress Chipset Family.

how did you fix this?

I disabled the KMS in order to complete the installation. Just set "nomodeset" option to the kernel line in grub. I used the legacy mode not the uefi one, so in grub push Tab button. add the nomodeset to the line and then Enter. After the installation i used this udev rule that keep the backlight to a desired level during the bootloading:

/etc/udev/rules.d/45-backlight.rules
ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="acpi_video0", SUBSYSTEM=="backlight", SUBSYSTEMS=="pci", DRIVERS=="i915", ATTR{brightness}="10"

Offline

#10 2013-06-13 12:31:34

kenan
Member
Registered: 2011-09-30
Posts: 29

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

toketin wrote:
kenan wrote:
toketin wrote:

@kenan which pc do you have? And which video card? With my Lenovo Ideapad S300 i get a black screen during bootloading, because the kernel set the backlight to the minimum level that corresponds to the total black screen hmm

My pc is thinkpad T400,  video card are ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470+Intel(R) 4 series EXpress Chipset Family.

how did you fix this?

I disabled the KMS in order to complete the installation. Just set "nomodeset" option to the kernel line in grub. I used the legacy mode not the uefi one, so in grub push Tab button. add the nomodeset to the line and then Enter. After the installation i used this udev rule that keep the backlight to a desired level during the bootloading:

/etc/udev/rules.d/45-backlight.rules
ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="acpi_video0", SUBSYSTEM=="backlight", SUBSYSTEMS=="pci", DRIVERS=="i915", ATTR{brightness}="10"

In my env, the grub is black also. so push tab also black. do not know  how to add nomodeset....

Offline

#11 2013-06-13 12:34:42

toketin
Member
From: Belluno (Italy)
Registered: 2007-04-17
Posts: 317

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

@kenan and if you reboot the pc you'll get the backlight correct again?

Offline

#12 2013-06-17 03:10:15

kenan
Member
Registered: 2011-09-30
Posts: 29

Re: the screen is black when loading by grub....

toketin wrote:

@kenan and if you reboot the pc you'll get the backlight correct again?

yes, it is.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB