You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-10 12:47:19

Janerio

System freezes (no more interaction possible)

Hello community,

I'm running ArchLinux with KDE (standard installation) since 6 days and had 5 freezes in the meantime.
The whole system just freezes (no more mouse/keyboard). I installed ArchLinux on a btrfs-root and have
the latest updates installed.

Could you pls. describe how to debug the issue? Is there any special log file?

/var/log/Xorg.0.log does only contain information entries (I checked it with KSystemLog) also Kernel log (/bin/dmesg) is
errorless.

Any ideas? There is not reproducable situation where I can see any correlation.

#2 2013-06-10 16:24:20

ewaller
Administrator

Re: System freezes (no more interaction possible)

Are the keyboard lights flashing?
Can you 'ping' your box over the LAN?
You might try enabling the Magic SysRq keys and see if they are functional at your next freeze.

Also, what are your processor, LAN, and video systems?  Which drivers are you using?

Last edited by ewaller (2013-06-10 16:25:42)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-06-10 17:06:49

Janerio

thanks for answering.

NUM, Caps lock etc. stayed as before, there was no flashing.

I'm running a maschine based on:

board: m3a78 pro, amd 780g + sb700
cpu: AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 5050e
gpu: ati radeon hd 3200 (onboard)
lan: realtek 8111c
ram: 8 gb

I'm using latest mesa & open source radeon driver and kde standard graphic settings (no changes for OpenGL etc.). QT graphic system is native.

Next time I will try to ping the pc over LAN and use the special keys.

Last edited by Janerio (2013-06-10 17:07:09)

#4 2013-06-10 17:14:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Have you tried to switch to a tty (Ctrl-Alt-F(N)).  If successful it would suggest it's just an X/KDE issue - also if successful, check (h)top once there.

You could also try using other DEs/WMs as a diagnostic step to see if the issue is replicated with those.

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#5 2013-06-10 18:01:46

Janerio

ok, had again a freeze:
special keys did not work, switch to a tty did not work. Nothing.
I had no other pc running, so I was unable to ping the system.

I have an assumption that it is related to firefox or flash. Isn't there
any log file?

BTW: dolphin now stopped displaying nepomuk data (I had Documents, Videos.. folders in the sidebar).
Maybe also related? Services should run according to the setting menu.

Last edited by Janerio (2013-06-10 18:01:58)

#6 2013-06-10 18:06:52

ewaller
Administrator

Are you sure you had enabled the Magic SysRq keys?  They are off by default.  You might try testing them prior to a freeze.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2013-06-10 18:07:51

Janerio

ewaller wrote:

Are you sure you had enabled the Magic SysRq keys?  They are off by default.  You might try testing them prior to a freeze.

I successfully tested them before.

EDIT:
the settings were gone because I tested it. Now, I changed the setting in /etc/sysctl.conf.

Last edited by Janerio (2013-06-10 18:11:36)

#8 2013-06-13 11:34:22

Janerio

one update:

It's really not possible to interact in anyway with the system while it freezes.
Just had again a freeze.

#9 2013-06-15 17:00:32

greg1

same here, started to happen wihin last week - mesa/dri/radeon/kernel updates or firefox i recon but cant say for sure - i use ati radeon 3650 - when on youtube in firefox entire box dies randomly and there is no key (nor mouse click) that works - alt-f2, alt-f3 ctl-alt-f1/2/3 etc - ctl-alt-backspace, ctl-alt-del, ctl-c, ctl-q, ctl-d - nothing - poweroff and start again - but then after hard reboot lcd struggled to wake up - when it did then slim struggled to bring xfce back to me, second reboot helped it - all made me think about overheating gpu?? but have no real substance to claim anything like it - will keep an eye on it next time it will happen

#10 2013-06-15 17:17:20

jrussell

This happens to me when I open a whole bunch of terminals in weston.....dont ask.

Cant do anything at all, keyboard lights don't respond, completely stuck.
On one of my computers it seems to run out of RAM - with the ati driver
and on my laptop, it occurs before the RAM is high - with nouveau

bitcoin: 1G62YGRFkMDwhGr5T5YGovfsxLx44eZo7U

#11 2013-06-16 09:14:27

greg1

hapenned today too (aparently two times one after another) - right after boot i managed to open terminal then thunderbird and while scrolling down the email with one inline picture it froze - i restarted box and checked gpu temp - it was 50C so we can exclude overheating - it happened again while i was composing this message - very bizarre - but this time all froze and also lcd screen went blank like loosing signal from gpu - it is very random thing and seems like it is not related to any particular application

#12 2013-06-16 12:00:11

greg1

so i moved to opensuse on the other partition and as i tumbleweeded it to kernel 3.9.6, mesa 9, Xorg?? etc i experienced same problem (scrolling??/switching tabs in terminal killed the box) - it feels like problem happens on scrolling (but cant be 100% sure) - i noticed below in .xsession_errors log after restart (this is opensuse with kde) - so this is certailny not arch only related issue (also could be my ageing hardware but then why would other people experience similar, hmm)

file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:103: TypeError: Result of expression 'listView' [null] is not an 
object.
file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:175: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: sectionsRepeater
file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/components/SectionScroller.qml:103: Error: Cannot assign [undefined] to QString
file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/extras/ScrollArea.qml:120: TypeError: Result of expression 'horizontalScrollBar' [null] is not an object.
file:///usr/lib/kde4/imports/org/kde/plasma/extras/ScrollArea.qml:120: TypeError: Result of expression 'horizontalScrollBar' [null] is not an object.
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/plasmoids/notifier/contents/ui/devicenotifier.qml:224:13: QML QDeclarativeListView_QML_89: Possible anchor loop detected on fill.
file:///usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma/plasmoids/notifier/contents/ui/devicenotifier.qml:224:13: QML QDeclarativeListView_QML_89: Possible anchor loop detected on fill.
link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_36_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_36_ hasn't been detected!

#13 2013-06-18 17:17:20

Janerio

I'm also not on the newest hardware.
Is there any log file which contains informations about a crash? As I wrote xerrors etc. does not contain errors.

#14 2013-10-03 12:22:30

Janerio

I have to bring this topic up again:

I have a new installation (again KDE) and face the same issue: Suddenly the systems hangs and I cannot do anything with it.
I checked my RAM (memtest) - no issue, I checked my hd - now issues.

To give you an example when the systems freezes suddenly:
I open netbeans and open a file (netbeans by the way does need a long time to start) and then it just hangs. This happens also with e.g. Chromium, or while doing an update.

It would be perfect, if one could tell me where to search for the issue. Is there any special log which could contain the reason why the system freezes?

#15 2013-10-03 14:03:42

arcon

I once had this kinda problem, which in my case was the kernel 3.8 and above so i switched to lts-kernel and everything went fine. Though 3.10 and above is playing well for me now. I don't know what cause that in your case but you can try switching to different kernel version or "lts" to see if it can fix your problem.

Janerio wrote:

It would be perfect, if one could tell me where to search for the issue. Is there any special log which could contain the reason why the system freezes?

Try looking journalctl for errors, go to your log folder and browse your logs, if kde has some logs specified in your home directory look there too. Check for any conflicts, Is your system up-to-date and check for stuff on G, arch search and Int.....

Last edited by arcon (2013-10-03 14:05:44)

The short cuts are only short because they don't actually go anywhere. -- Trilby
Nothing feels better than being understood -- awayand
A pathetic dreamer smile

#16 2013-10-03 18:03:25

Janerio

My system is up to date. Latest updates are successfully installed.

journalctl shows:

-- Reboot --
Okt 03 19:25:33 archlinux systemd[973]: Failed to open private bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /run/user/500/dbus/user_bus_sock
Okt 03 19:25:33 archlinux systemd[973]: Mounted /sys/kernel/config.
Okt 03 19:25:33 archlinux systemd[973]: Stopped target Sound Card.
Okt 03 19:25:33 archlinux systemd[973]: Starting Default.
Okt 03 19:25:33 archlinux systemd[973]: Reached target Default.
Okt 03 19:25:33 archlinux systemd[973]: Startup finished in 103ms.
-- Reboot --
Okt 03 19:42:33 archlinux systemd[976]: Failed to open private bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /run/user/500/dbus/user_bus_sock
Okt 03 19:42:33 archlinux systemd[976]: Mounted /sys/kernel/config.
Okt 03 19:42:33 archlinux systemd[976]: Stopped target Sound Card.
Okt 03 19:42:33 archlinux systemd[976]: Starting Default.
Okt 03 19:42:33 archlinux systemd[976]: Reached target Default.
Okt 03 19:42:33 archlinux systemd[976]: Startup finished in 127ms.

There are no special kde logs in my home directory.

In my .xsession-errors:

"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/HL_DT_STDVD_RAM_GH22NS30_HL_DT_STDVD_RAM_GH22NS30" : property "DeviceNumber" does not exist
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/HL_DT_STDVD_RAM_GH22NS30_HL_DT_STDVD_RAM_GH22NS30" : property "Device" does not exist
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

Somehow I have the feeling that a needed DBUS server is not running. Some "crashes" ago nepomuk also stopped working, but I think the freezes
must be related to something else because they occured also with running nepomuk.

#17 2013-10-03 18:12:15

arcon

what about kernel???

The short cuts are only short because they don't actually go anywhere. -- Trilby
A pathetic dreamer smile

#18 2013-10-05 16:24:01

Janerio

is there any kernel log which does contain kernel logs? I searched via google and was informed that systemd / journalctl does the logging. journalctl only contains the lines which I posted in my last entry.

#19 2013-10-05 22:14:07

arcon

arcon wrote:

I once had this kinda problem, which in my case was the kernel 3.8 and above so i switched to lts-kernel and everything went fine. Though 3.10 and above is playing well for me now. I don't know what cause that in your case but you can try switching to different kernel version or "lts" to see if it can fix your problem.

I wasn't asking about kernel logs, i know it's journalctl's working.
I was telling you to downgrade linux to previous working kernel "if any" or switch to linux-lts and see if it solves your problem. It will narrow down what you are looking for.

EDIT: you must go through every change that you've made before these freezes. and look them one-by-one.

Last edited by arcon (2013-10-05 22:27:49)

A pathetic dreamer smile

Board footer