You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-13 07:26:27

B_Geminorum

Wifi-menu invalid interface specification [SOLVED]

Hi dear sirs!

I am a newcomer here and have a little bit of a problem with wireless on my installed arch.

I have a T43 machine and it successfully connected to wifi and downloaded base and packages during the installation.
However, after reboot I ran into a problem renewing my connection.

iw dev - does not give any output. It used to give me wlp4s2 during the installation as my wirless interface

So I go iwconfig and it gives me three interfaces irda0 lo and enp2s0 it says "no wireless extencions" in front of each one

I pacmaned iw, wireless_tools, wpa_supplicant, wpa_actiond, dialog and netctl and it all went perfectly fine

Also, I tried to ip link set [all those interfaces one by one ] up - none worked

lspci, however gives me out my interface card normally as: PRO/wireless 2915ABG for which i need ipw2200 (supposebly it is there because it worked during the installation process)

And if I just run wifi-menu it says: "invalid interface specification" - even thought I only have one wireless interface and it should work fine

Yes, I did the wiki reading and searched quite a bit on the internet, but I don't seem to have any progress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by B_Geminorum (2013-06-13 21:05:39)

#2 2013-06-13 07:46:15

opt1mus
Website

Re: Wifi-menu invalid interface specification [SOLVED]

You may need the firmware, chroot into your installation from a live Arch iso, and install the necessary package: ipw2200-fw exit chroot, then reboot into the installation proper and retry, also when using wifi-menu you'll need to specify the interface, for example; wifi-menu wlp3s0

#3 2013-06-13 08:39:10

B_Geminorum

WhooHoo!

Thank you so much opt1mus! Everything works perfectly fine now.

BTW wifi-menu does not need specified interface if you have only one wireless interface on your computer. Well...according to the man page and how it works on my computer now.

#4 2013-06-13 08:44:44

opt1mus
Website

Excellent, I've not used wifi-menu in quite a while, as I start profiles manually.

You can now edit your initial post and mark the title as [ SOLVED ].

-- edited, you're right about single interface --

Last edited by opt1mus (2013-06-13 08:51:02)

Board footer