You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-14 12:02:06

Isildur

Touchpad settings - synaptic and XFCE

Hi,

I'm using XFCE on my laptop but I want to configure my touchpad using my synaptics.conf. However apparently XFCE or some other deamon overwrites certain settings from my synaptics.conf.
Is it possible to disable XFCE or any other deamon from handling these settings?

I searched a bit and the only I found as a workaround would be to manually run a synclient script at startup.

Thank you in advance!

#2 2013-06-15 11:31:05

cookies

Re: Touchpad settings - synaptic and XFCE

XFCE manages its own syanaptics configuration, you can change it from the settings dialog (should be accessible via the menu).

#3 2013-06-15 13:44:54

Isildur

Yes I can change the XFCE settings via the menu. But these settings have less options than a full configuration directly in the synaptics.conf (e.g. I can enable/disable features but not set many parameters or circular scrolling etc.).

How does this XFCE synaptics configuration work? Does it override my own configuration in /etc/X11... or does it "extend" it? And where is it stored?

The best solution for me would be to stop XFCE completly from handling synaptic settings and leave it all to my own configuartion file - ist that possible?

#4 2013-06-15 14:04:28

cookies

Isildur wrote:

How does this XFCE synaptics configuration work? Does it override my own configuration in /etc/X11... or does it "extend" it?

http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-setting … properties

And where is it stored?

That should be

~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/pointers.xml

#5 2013-06-15 16:09:03

Isildur

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Although it would be even easier to disable XFCE handling the synaptic properties alltogether (dunno whether thats possible?!) this should give me control over the settings.
However somehow setting the properties doesn't work correctly. After running xfconf-query the settings remain unchanged:

#getting the name
% xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad 

#changing the property according to the documentation
% xfconf-query -c pointers -p /ETPS2_Elantech_Touchpad/Properties/Circular_Scrolling_Trigger -n -t int -s 0

#testing the result
% xinput list-props "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad"
#[...]
Synaptics Circular Scrolling Trigger (285):	2

Anybody any idea why setting the property failes? I don't get any error.

Last edited by Isildur (2013-06-15 16:09:35)

Board footer