You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-18 12:31:42

theironknuckle

Unable to install bootloader

I've tried to install both EFISTUB and GRUB but both wind up at the same error message:

Fatal: Couldn't open either sysfs or procfs directories for accessing EFI variables.
Try 'modprobe efivars' as root

modprobe efivars does jack all. I really am not keen/don't care for this whole UEFI thing and want to just get into my arch installation already. I haven't bothered installing any EFI shell. Could this be what;s causing this annoying message?

Feeling pretty frustrated/pissed off. I've been trying to install arch linux on various dvices on and off for about 2.5 years. Something always gets in the way. This time it's the bloody UEFI motherboard on this netbook.

Apologies for the tone of this post. It's late at night after a long long workday and I'm griding my teeth at the whole "so close yet so far" thing that always prevents me from completing the installation. Will go to bed and probably edit things in the morning. Please fire away with suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited by theironknuckle (2013-06-18 12:38:39)

#2 2013-06-18 12:39:30

hokasch

Re: Unable to install bootloader

You need to be booted in UEFI mode, see here.

#3 2013-06-20 10:15:08

theironknuckle

Re: Unable to install bootloader

I've followed the instructions at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … B_from_ISO to make the usb I'm using a fat32, UEFI bootable one and now I get the following bios message over and over again:

isolinux.bin missing or corrupt.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I've plugged the usb into my ubuntu laptop and checked out the scene within. isolinux.bin is defs there, hiding under /isolinux.

Last edited by theironknuckle (2013-06-20 10:15:44)

Board footer