You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-19 06:32:57

Convergence

[solved]PS3 Sixaxis and Steam (USB)

The sixaxis controller works with Steam out of the box!  The problem is that the buttons are just a little off. 

What I've done so far:

Disabled Joystick control of mouse cursor (It was interfering with what I wanted to do)
Plugged in my sixaxis and hit the PS button (the pad won't do anything until you hit the button)
Ran HL2 Beta (which runs flawlessly by the way) and played around a bit.  I can look, move, jump, shoot, use and duck.  It's almost perfect! Much better than the Sixaxis control support for Windows7!  The problem is that I can't run fast...  and the button layout is just a little weird. (A couple of the buttons do exactly the same thing, and I suspect that other controls are missing)

I suspect that the problem is that the PC gaming world revolves around MS and their 360 controller.

Googling, I found this thread:  http://supermeatboy.com/forum/index.php?topic=2389.0    They are attempting to remap the keys to be more like the 360 controller.  Keep in mind that I don't know if this will actually solve the problem.  I followed the directions (although I'm not sure that HL2 uses SDL at all) and nothing changed.  (Maybe that's just evidence that HL2 doesn't use SDL)

Any suggestions?

PS:  I get the same results with L4D2.  HL1 doesn't work so well.  The controls do something, but they need to be calibrated specifically for that game or something (my character looks at the floor and spins in a circle)

PPS:  I think that Qjoypad might be a practical work-around.  I just think that it would be a shame to use a work around when a more elegant solution might be available.

PPPS:  I plan to update the wiki if I get this working properly.

Last edited by Convergence (2013-06-19 14:57:44)

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

#2 2013-06-19 14:59:03

Convergence

Re: [solved]PS3 Sixaxis and Steam (USB)

No luck with L4D2, but I got it to work perfectly in HL2.  You just need to use the in-game key mapper.  (I don't know how I missed that)

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

Board footer