You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-19 22:07:10

hughitt1
Website

Sound stopped working after removing GDM?

Hello,

I recently dropped GDM in favor of a simple xinitrc file, booting into Awesome, but have since lost sound output. Switching back to GDM restore the sound functioning.

I checked amixer to make sure that the output channels were not muted, but everything looked okay there and switching from the "default" sound card to "HDA Intel" did not resolve the issue either.

I also tried following the suggestion on the pulseaudio wiki to set the onboard (intel) audio as the default device, but still no luck.

Finally, the pulseaudio daemon is running, and restarting it does not fix the problem.

Any ideas? I can't think of any reason why it should work when I use GDM to login, but not otherwise..

#2 2013-08-28 10:13:07

skuggo

Re: Sound stopped working after removing GDM?

I've got the same issue, I dumped LXDM for slim and since then I've lost my sound.

#3 2013-08-28 11:21:53

kaszak696

Compare the processes that are running after GDM login with these started using .xinitrc method, incorporate the missing ones into your .xinitrc. It's probably something simple like starting pulseadio, check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu … eneral_X11 or consider going vanilla ALSA.

'What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.' - Christopher Hitchens
'There's no such thing as addiction, there's only things that you enjoy doing more than life.' - Doug Stanhope
GitHub Junkyard

#4 2013-08-28 11:38:38

hughitt1
Website

I tried something similar when I first encountered the problem -- I dumped the output from:

1. ps -ef
2. lsmod
3. systemctl

with and without GDM and then did a diff. Unfortunately nothing relevant came up. I also sifted through the xinit I had and compared it to the one used by GDM, incorporating a few things, but no luck.

I would have thought that any significant differences would have shown up in the processes at least, but nothing :\

Let me know if you have better luck.

Board footer