You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-20 20:20:13

Gryaniy

Optimus -Ever removed intel HD from the kernel?

I have one of those annoying double video card laptop. So that I need to use bumblebee to use both.

What I'm trying to do is the following:  remove Intel HD gpu drivers from the kernel and include Nvidia support.

The objective is to run X/openbox on the nvidia card without bumblebee.

Any experiences on this? Thoughts?

#2 2013-06-20 20:29:23

jrussell

Re: Optimus -Ever removed intel HD from the kernel?

I've never used bumblebee or used a pc with two cards, but can't you just specify which card to use with an Xorg config file?

*Edit

Doesn't look like it....
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/No … _installed

Thought that was specifying the card, not the driver

Last edited by jrussell (2013-06-20 20:31:03)

bitcoin: 1G62YGRFkMDwhGr5T5YGovfsxLx44eZo7U

#3 2013-06-20 20:44:23

Gryaniy

Not possible, that is the reason why bumblebee was written, it creates a bumblebee config file which is a copy of Xorg conf ,then a service running enables you to use the other card on demand, and there's another app(bbswitch)  to turn the nvidia card off. However, it won't allow us to switch the intel card off.

#4 2013-06-20 21:41:41

mich41

Some older Optimus laptops have a BIOS option which toggles between GPUs.

In newer laptops display outputs are permanently connected to Intel GPU and software copies images rendered by NVIDIA GPU to Intel GPU to display them. You can't disable Intel GPU.

Last edited by mich41 (2013-06-20 21:42:44)

#5 2013-06-20 21:54:31

Gryaniy

got ya, I'm screwed then I don't have the BIOS option.

#6 2013-06-21 00:39:45

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Gryaniy wrote:

got ya, I'm screwed then I don't have the BIOS option.

Out of curiosity, under what use-case would you PREFER to have nvidia for everything rather than for selected graphics-intensive apps?

I just bought an optimus laptop as well, and setting up was mostly painless. The Intel card works for almost all my regular needs, bumblebee and bbswitch are just to save power. The nvidia card is only useful for the rare gaming sessions, really.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2013-06-27 01:33:52

Gryaniy

Exactly, I run Starcraft 2 under wine.  FPS rate suck. Independently that I'm running it throug "optirun" or "primusrun" the thing is that it seems initially go through Intel HD and then it gets redirected to the Nvidia card.
So , i just wanted to bypass it and have it go straight to the Nvidia card and see if that would give me some extra FPS. (I run on windows at 120 FPS, while in Linux 40 fps, )
Before you posted I already tried that, recompile my kernel without HD, but as Mich41 mentions , it won't work, it just didn't work, black screen....

The problem on performance is mostly the game running through wine rather than the video card itself, -  measuring the videocard in LInux-bumblebee against Windows results are a bit better in windows.
About power,I'm not really concerned as I'm most of the time on AC.

I ended up opting to remove the Nvidia Card from the kernel,(speeds up booting time a lil bit) and decided to keep gaming on Windows, Wine still not mature enough to give better performance for SC2.... wish that gaming companies could release Linux versions...

Besides that, the HD card cover all my needs, I just really do all daily tasks(browsing,email,etc and eclipse) so, other than gaming the Nvidia card not needed.

HOw do you use your bumblebee and nvidia card?

Board footer