You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-17 09:26:12

cyberfrem

How can I get clearer, smoother fonts?

Hi again.  You guys helped me out so well with my last question that i know you'll be able to help me out with this one!

How can I make my fonts look as clear as possible?

I'm running at 1400x1050 resolution with xorg and xfce4.
I've ensured that anti-aliasing is turned on and have enabled sub-pixel hinting but I find that my fonts appear "fuzzy".

Excuse me for mentioning the 'W' work here but my Windows XP installation with ClearType enabled gives me lovely clear fonts and I was hoping to get the same in Linux.

When I installed xorg (or was that xfce4? I forget) a message was displayed on screen referring to uncommenting a line in a config file somewhere for anti-aliasing or hinting, but I foolishly didn't note it down so I don't know what it was or where to find it!  Or even if this would help me.

How have you managed to make your fonts nice and clear?

#2 2005-11-17 11:28:12

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: How can I get clearer, smoother fonts?

cyberfrem wrote:

When I installed xorg (or was that xfce4? I forget) a message was displayed on screen referring to uncommenting a line in a config file somewhere for anti-aliasing or hinting, but I foolishly didn't note it down so I don't know what it was or where to find it!  Or even if this would help me.

thats is in /etc/fonts/local.conf, autohinter to false. Subpixel is in there as well.
You may also want to double check your xorg.conf is correct.

#3 2005-11-17 16:41:10

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Board footer