You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-23 01:31:50

jc61990
Website

Laptop does not shut down

Hello, the past two days i seem to have noticed that my laptop isn't fully shutting down.

I have an Alienware M14x R2, with a fairly fresh copy of arch installed. Im using Mate as my DE. When i click System >Shut Down, my user is logged out the screen goes black and the normal shutdown procedure occurs. After my Screen, keyboard and power button lights turn off, my system should now be off. Today after shutting down my pc at work, i put my laptop into my bag and drove home, when i got home my laptop's fans were going full blast and my laptop was very hot!, i opened it up and hit the powerbutton, the system went through the normal startup, slim then comes up asking me to login. after logging in, everything seems like a new session, but my battery which was full when i turned it off is now dead, and my cpu was around 75C.

Im not sure why the computer still remains on after shutting it down, this has happened to me twice now,  this is not good for my laptop and shouldn't be happening. Does anyone know if there is a service i should have on or off or possibly anything else as to why this would happen?

thanks

Last edited by jc61990 (2013-06-23 01:34:24)

#2 2013-06-23 02:32:28

axelectrik

Re: Laptop does not shut down

Have you checked dmesg?
Or the kernel log to see if there is somthing not turning off.
Maybe it could be an IRQ problem, this happend to me showing a message saying "Disabling IRQ #16"

#3 2013-06-23 18:48:03

jc61990
Website

ive looked at dmesg, however i can not tell if this is from when i turned my laptop on today or if its a continuation from when i installed arch. I skimmed through it and didnt really see anything that looked out of the ordinary.

heres a pastebin of it so anyone that knows what to look for can take a peek, http://pastebin.com/uG3HFnjA.

Also where would the kernel log be? i looked in /var/log  dont see anything for the kernel

#4 2013-06-23 18:58:52

illusionist

Have you tried command line shutdown instead of gui ? I think your laptop is halting instead of a proper shutdown.
Try

sudo poweroff
jc61990 wrote:

..... with a fairly fresh copy of arch installed.

My definition of a fairly fresh copy may be different. Please update your system if you haven't recently.

Last edited by illusionist (2013-06-23 19:02:55)

Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

#5 2013-06-23 20:24:54

jc61990
Website

illusionist wrote:

Have you tried command line shutdown instead of gui ? I think your laptop is halting instead of a proper shutdown.
Try

sudo poweroff

I actually thought about that and gave it a try, it seems to be shutting down fine when i issue the poweroff command.

illusionist wrote:
jc61990 wrote:

..... with a fairly fresh copy of arch installed.

My definition of a fairly fresh copy may be different. Please update your system if you haven't recently.

I normally check for updates on a daily basis.  I believe pacman told me nothing to do this morning.

What i ment by fairly is that i actually Re-Installed arch on my laptop about 4 days ago, but since then i have installed at least 25 programs.  The last installation i had on here was over a year old, i reinstalled to get UEFI working, and the most recent update, i rebooted when i shouldnt have and it never came back up lol, i could have fixed it, theres just nothing important on here so i just wiped it and started fresh.

Im also starting to think it may be some kind of power management feature that is either on or off. I feel my battery isnt lasting as long as it should. When i had Windows 8 on this laptop, i was able to get 6 hours of battery out of the 8 Cell i have, and that was with average use (no games). I seem to only get about 2.5 hours max with arch. My laptop died on me today, i took it out at work and left it on my desk, i didnt touch it at all today until i posted my reply earlier. The battery was dead and my laptop was off after a good 2 hours. I dont think i installed cpufreq since i resinstalled my system, i know i installed intel-ucode and acpi. But now going back to the command line poweroff, since that worked and i seem to have problems with the GUI shutdown. I might take this over to mate's support forums and ask there. Does anyone know if mate still uses ConsoleKit, iirc arch dropped consolekit that could be my problem too.

Last edited by jc61990 (2013-06-23 20:26:59)

Board footer